Made in America?

I ran across a curious scenario not too long ago that set me back on my rear. A tea/coffee set from a company/studio that was based in Istanbul/Turkey that was labeled as "Made in China"---the guy who owned the import store I saw this in said everything was being made there nowadays:(:(

I'd have some second thoughts about using those items for tea considering the spate of warnings about Chinese made products containing unacceptable levels of lead.

DCC might be made here for the most part but I'm willing to bet a number of the components are made elsewhere.

Athearn recently announced a move of all USA produced kits to China. There's still hope though, as far as I know Rail Yard Models is US made, along with Rail Shop Inc's Carbon Black & Beer cars. CTC Parts (I think), Scale Segmental Bridge Co. and Summit Custom Cuts are all US made. Imperial Hobby Productions resin cars are made in the US as well as Westerfield. Don't forget Northeastern Scale Models, Inc.

I'm sure I can find more...

Look where our flags are made!!...9/11 it was hard to get a flag. China worked overtime so we could fly our "China-Made-American-Icon"

If it wasn't for China there would be no Walmart ? A dubious alliance since China owns most of our national debt

And getting bigger by the second ! :mad:

Larry

Athabaska Scale Models, Kanamodel, Rio Grande Models, Fine Scale Miniatures, American Model Builders, JL Innovative Design, Campbells Scale Models, Western Scale Models, SS Ltd, Keystone Locomotive Works and JV Models are all made in North America.

I dont understand hows its cheaper to make the stuff here, then ship it all over to where ever to have it assembled then pay to ship everything back again.

kinda some ass backwards logic in my eyes.

That's only a part of the picture though

There are a lot of countries that are seeing the wage thing going up as well. But, as we see that a lot of other countries are seeing/allowing for next to slave labour----who knows how long that can be maintained.

We also have a much more stringent environmental legal system. Some circumvent this by going overseas. We also don't see a lot of this getting covered because a lot of us swallowed the idea that only we in N.America pollute and no one else does. Many people are now seeing India and China being looked at askince because of their pollution levels---and there are stories---

We seem to have a lot of people who fell for the myth of N.America being a "Post=Industrial" society and we now have a situation wherein kids are getting sent to schools for Doctors and etc instead of a skilled career in Mfg. So now what? Not enough skilled labour---

But, it isn't going to continue that way for long---:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

We seem to have a lot of people who fell for the myth of N.America being a "Post=Industrial" society and we now have a situation wherein kids are getting sent to schools for Doctors and etc instead of a skilled career in Mfg. So now what? Not enough skilled labour---

But, it isn't going to continue that way for long---:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bingo!

Mom and Dads cant think that little Billy would grow up to work in a factory. how awfull that would be! I saw it all around me while growing up. friends leaving for college to become a buisness major. Guess what...most ended up watching over immigrant workers for pay just slightly higher.:rolleyes: I took the other route and did Brick laying, worked in a factory, was a heavy machine operator and got My CDL. all self tought along the way. I not a laywer but can talk my way out of a traffic ticket in court;). cant do open hart sergery but can do first aid. It is however nice to know that if I ever louse my current job all these college kids will still be in the try outs of an office job:cool:

:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My son is in JR. High. When I went to JR. High I had many shop electives to select from and High School I had the same thing but in late 86' before I graduated they took out shop and replaced it with regular Classes so I'm told:rolleyes: Now My sons JR. high..........Nothing!:mad: If it weren't for me dragging my son out to mow lawns and fix the mowers and stuff he would not know how to work with his hands:rolleyes::( Sadly BOC your right Not enough people any more willing to get dirty and dig a ditch or go out and make something from nothing!:rolleyes:

I used to be in a band that would do covers of music we enjoyed--one song was from a group called HAWKLORDS called "25 Years". That song resonates with me because of one line in it that I'll paraphrase as " 25 years of social research ain't gonna make me change or make me conform---"

The point here is that we have seen the equivalent of about 2 generations who do not have a clue about what they want when all that is stuffed in front of them is office/computer/medical/law---service related instead of primary production---I live near a high school that just recently had a woodworking and an auto shop just close. You should see the look on some of these kids faces-----

I heard this one kid just ask no one in particular---" And what am I to do with MY interests?" He's obviously a hands on guy who will now have to do a fair bit of diggin' to get what he's after in terms of his schooling

And again----

A lot of that was originally made in our local communities-----sorry if I'm soapboxin' it just makes me crabby:mad::mad::mad:

If it wasn't for China there would be no Walmart ? A dubious alliance since China owns most of our national debt

And getting bigger by the second ! :mad:

Larry

I could live without a Wal-mart. I'm sure a lot of folks could. I'm sure other business owners would like it. And with on-line purchasing, Wal-mart has nothing I can't get somewhere else and usually find higher quality else where. In fact, there's plenty of times that they don't even have what I want or the version or 'brand' is of such poor quality I go somewhere else or just do without. Wal-mart is usually my last resort if I can't find it at another store and don't want to pay s&h ordering off the web. But the masses still flood in. If one tries to live life traveling the path less worn, he certainly won't pass through 'Wally Worlds' doors too often.

My son is in JR. High. When I went to JR. High I had many shop electives to select from and High School I had the same thing but in late 86' before I graduated they took out shop and replaced it with regular Classes so I'm told:rolleyes: Now My sons JR. high..........Nothing!:mad: If it weren't for me dragging my son out to mow lawns and fix the mowers and stuff he would not know how to work with his hands:rolleyes::( Sadly BOC your right Not enough people any more willing to get dirty and dig a ditch or go out and make something from nothing!:rolleyes:

My son went to public school for kindergarten and 1st grade. We(my wife and I) were not impressed with it at all and neither was he. At the end 1st grade he came to us and asked to be home schooled. We prepared and have a certified teachers assistant come in every other week to check progress. My wife teaches most of the time, but I am able to help with stuff. So, starting at age 7 (now 8), he not only is doing more classroom stuff than his class ( he can now name 36 states and capitols and for example), but he also gets shop class. He's helped jack up a car, block it for safety, and change oil, oil filter and air filter. He's helped with plumbing projects in the house. He also knows how to take apart the the vacuum to clean the stuff that most people don't even know they can get to. He even knows the basics in wiring train layouts and how to ballast track! :D He still plays sports(baseball, basketball and soccer) and is in cub scouts, plays with friends and is happy and healthy, thanks to no longer being in a government run 'public' school.

I am surprised to see no one has mentioned Micro-Trains.
With the exception of some mechanical components of their locomotives, everything is made in Oregon.

Hey now, lets not get bitter at walmart, they are one of the largest buyers of the product my work sells :)

And we are proud to say, Made in America! We used to sticker it on every box, but stickers got expensive and too much time spent doing that.

I know that at least some of the Kadee rolling stock is made in America. Thier hopper cars are "manufactured & assembled in the USA". That is probably why they cost $42 along with the fact that they are the most accurate & detailed ones. Wish i could afford a whole fleet of them. Jerry

Hey now, lets not get bitter at walmart, they are one of the largest buyers of the product my work sells :)

And we are proud to say, Made in America! We used to sticker it on every box, but stickers got expensive and too much time spent doing that.

If not stickers, then have it painted on the packaging with the logo. If walmart didn't exist and there is a demand for your product, it will still sell. Other stores would stock it and I assume already do. I would do whatever it takes to pitch the Made in America concept because in my mind, the customers looking for that are going to be loyal to a product.

You can't buy an HO GP38 DCC ready at Walmart, Target, Shopko, etc, and it's certainly not that there isn't a demand. Granted it's more of a specialized niche, but you get the idea. Even without a big chain store there's enough demand to keep several companies in business and in competition. And I'm sure all of of here are thankful for that!:D

Back