M.O.W. rolling stock & accessories

CSXMATT

Besides Lionel, has any other manufacturer released any M.O.W. stuff? I want to make a train, but was unsure if most of it will need scratch built.

You didn't state what scale, but back in the day of Athearn blue-box, they released dozens of kits of MOW equipment for many railroads in HO. I have a couple from Walther's as well.

Willie

Depends on the era you're modelling too. Walthers did a couple MOW sets with wooden cars.
If you're doing N scale I believe Microtrains did one also.

Ah I kind of thought it might be, although Lionel does make some HO.
Other than Lionel there's cars made by MTH, Bachman, K-line, and Wiseman Models at least.
Wiseman has some very cool stuff! A search on Feebay will give you more I'm sure.

I think the Bachman cars are marketed under the Williams line btw.

I did assume O scale might be the scale you were interested in, but as Rico pointed out, Lionel made HO as well.

Willie

Just had a quick look, a lot might be On30 stuff but there is O scale stuff.
They make a great narrow gauge pile driver, wonder if it can be converted to standard gauge, hmmm

80-90% of MofW material is carried in regular old freight cars. Ballast in regular hoppers, ties in regular gons, stick rail in regular gons or flat cars. Track material in boxcars (spikes) or gons (angle bars, tie plates) are in regular gons. The specialized cars are outfit cars (mostly associated with system gangs, not used by section gangs), wrecker equipment, bridge equipment, special ballast cars, special switch panel cars, welded rail trains or special long rail cars.

What is the main difference of On30 to O?

On30 refers to O scale locos/rolling stock that run on narrow gauge track, the "30" generally representing 30" gauge or near. HO track being the nearest commercially available. In consequence, because those narrow gauge trains are smaller in size than the standard gauge ones, the models also reflect that.

Back