LSRN Outshops a few Cabooosess

LSRN

The Lake Superior Railway & Navigation recently outshopped some freshly painted cabeese.

Decals are Highball Graphics (custom) and Microscale (numbers and safety slogans). KD couplers and either Atlas caboose trucks or Athearn trucks with P2K metal wheelsets. Antenna, lights, horns, and some of the smokestacks from Details West and Custom Finishing. Please to enjoy the following pics.

Roster shot #1

IMG_0284.jpg

Roster shot #2

IMG_0297.jpg

Transfer caboose. Molocco cab on top of an old Athearn blue box 40 foot flat.

IMG_0293.jpg

Plywood caboose. Northeastern Scale Models wood kit of a GN plywood sheathed caboose.

IMG_0289.jpg

Wide vison caboose #1. Sylvan resin kit of a CN van. (Not a kit for beginners. I spent as much time on this kit as I was going to, there are still some things that I know I could have improved, but, enough was enough.)

IMG_0294.jpg

Wide vision #2. VH models brass caboose of a CN modern caboose.

IMG_0285.jpg

Man, I know how tricky resin can be. I don't blame you for saying "It's good enough".

They look very spiffy.

First of all, the cabooses look great! A+!!

And second, I love the name of your railroad. It could be a railroad that runs along Lake Superior, as well as having a small fleet of boats.

Great work!

Phil

The cabooses look good, especially the resin model. Those are buggers to put together. I've got a Southern caboose I've been working on for about 6 months and I'm still only half done.

LSRN Locos

They look good Len what do have pulling them.

NYC_George

Here are some of the units I've done so far.

PICT0410.jpg

PICT0413.jpg

PICT0414.jpg

PICT0416.jpg

PICT0418.jpg

I also have an Alco C-628 that I left in C&NW colors and decaled for the LSRN. I left it in C&NW colors since I use to see them on ore runs in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and got "bit" hard by them! They were quite the sight to see.

LSRN Ferry

First of all, the cabooses look great! A+!!

And second, I love the name of your railroad. It could be a railroad that runs along Lake Superior, as well as having a small fleet of boats.

Great work!

Phil

Thank you, Phil. Here are a couple of the boats owned by the LSRN. They also own a few tugs and some car floats. I still need to decal them for the road and to come up with the fleet flag.

PICT0279.jpg

PICT0280.jpg

PICT0222.jpg

PICT0223.jpg

PICT0209.jpg

PICT0210.jpg

PICT0208.jpg

MOW Vehicles

Man, I know how tricky resin can be. I don't blame you for saying "It's good enough".

They look very spiffy.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm also a fan of Rocky and so far, I think the LSRN will be a subsidiary of the GN and C&NW in modern times. After all, they use their MOW vehicles....

PICT0219.jpg

PICT0217.jpg

PICT0216.jpg

I will probably end up modifying the road motto (which you may recognize)

"Freight Goes Great, When It Goes Superior!"

Lake Superior.....

Very nice. I love the name also, because I grew up next to Lake Superior...

I was stationed in outside of Marquette at K.I. Sawyer AFB, '88-'92. My wife both fell in the love with the area and so far, have made it back up to visit once. I'd like to end up back up there, the Lake has quite a draw. Nothing like being on the shore during a fall storm and seeing the waves and the power of the water.

And as for the trains, feeling the rumble of the LS&I with an ore dock shove as you watch from Presque Isle Park is awesome. And like I mentioned above, watching the now extinct C&NW Alcos hauling a loaded ore run along M-35 was fantastic. My oldest son, now almost 23, had a jar of "iron ore pellets" (taconite) for years, as a memento of trips with his brother and Dad to the tracks to watch trains.

I was stationed in outside of Marquette at K.I. Sawyer AFB, '88-'92. My wife both fell in the love with the area and so far, have made it back up to visit once. I'd like to end up back up there, the Lake has quite a draw. Nothing like being on the shore during a fall storm and seeing the waves and the power of the water.

And as for the trains, feeling the rumble of the LS&I with an ore dock shove as you watch from Presque Isle Park is awesome. And like I mentioned above, watching the now extinct C&NW Alcos hauling a loaded ore run along M-35 was fantastic. My oldest son, now almost 23, had a jar of "iron ore pellets" (taconite) for years, as a memento of trips with his brother and Dad to the tracks to watch trains.
Awesome! I went to KI during the later portion of that period for the airshow. Pretty much went every year until they base closed, its the airport now.

LS&I will be switching to new ES44's soon, I'm pretty darn sure they'll be ES44AC's. CN's using big power now, I missed out on the last stand of the WCL SD45's. :mad:

Been over 3 years since I was home. I grew up in Hancock, lived in Marquette during the late 90's for 3 years, then moved back to Hancock, before i joined the Marines and came out here to sunny (beside the last few rainy days) SoCal...

Sperior thoughts...

Awesome! I went to KI during the later portion of that period for the airshow. Pretty much went every year until they base closed, its the airport now.

LS&I will be switching to new ES44's soon, I'm pretty darn sure they'll be ES44AC's. CN's using big power now, I missed out on the last stand of the WCL SD45's. :mad:

Been over 3 years since I was home. I grew up in Hancock, lived in Marquette during the late 90's for 3 years, then moved back to Hancock, before i joined the Marines and came out here to sunny (beside the last few rainy days) SoCal...

Houghton-Hancock, another nice area. Along with the Keeweenaw Peninsula. Most assuredly, and no sleight to Wisconsin or Minnesota, but the U.P. is God's Country.

E44s on the LS&I will be a something to see. Quite the modern power for the road. Glad to see they are doing so well in the business area. When I was stationed up there I belonged to a model railroad club, Upper Peninsula ShortLines. We had a modular layout we would set up 5-6 times at a year at various places, always well received by the public. I understand it the modules were sold to a model rail club out of Escanaba (I think).

Anyway, the club would have an annual dinner, officers elected, business stuff decided on, blah, blah, and one year, we had the president of LS&I speak after dinner. Very nice guy, very railfan friendly. About 3-4 months later, he arranged for the club to go on a tour of their main shops in Eagle Mills.

I do miss the UP. Which is why it is going to be the location of my HO railroad. If I can't be there, I'll build a piece of it in my basement!

Back