lovecraft layout

i wasn't sure were to start this topic of the progress of my layout so i put it here. i'm sure the moderators will move it if necessary.

anyway, i have made measurenents and i think i have room for 3 2'x4' modules and 1 4'x4' corner module. the last will also double as a turn around module for my layout at one end.

i have the first building completed for arkham. it ia an old brick book store. i am quite pleased since it was my very first attempt at weathering anything. it was much easier than i thought and turned out pretty good imo.

unfortunately, i do not have a camera yet, hopefully soon i will go and get a super cheapo digital camera so i can start posting the pics of my horror/sci-fi layout.

adios for now

i wasn't sure were to start this topic of the progress of my layout so i put it here. i'm sure the moderators will move it if necessary.
Hi arkham railroader
Since you are planning on posting the progress of your layout from start to finish, perhaps this thread would be the best place for it, instead of having it spread around in different Topic folders. Having it in one thread would allow for continuety from each stage to the next. Good luck on your project and post lots of pictures, I like pictures :D
Cheers Willis

Sounds like fun. I look forward to seeing it.
I had an idea to make a module of Axxis Chemical complex from the 1st Batman movie.
An industrial switching maze with Walthers steel mill & refinery kits. Lots of pipes, rust and flat black paint. Axxis tank cars & boxes, dumpsters, trash, wrecking yards, and more rust.

Ken K

this is the beginings of the first module. so far i have just started on the underground portion and once i get a monster to put in the underground lake i can put down the water.

i love the idea of the axxis chemical company. i would do the same if i was going for a batman theme.

and does anyone know where i could find a mason's temple?

I forgot to mention another tie-in with Gotham City. What really triggered my response in the first place. Batman's arch enemies are usually incarcerated in Arkham Asylum.

Looks like your layout is proggressing.
I'm stalled at the moment myself.

Ken

OK! I give in the silence is killing me :D OK in the first photo you have a twice around HO track and on the inside area you have a N scale loop, now as I remember Batman was never that wild. How do you explain that? :D and I can see modeling a hotbox detector, but you seem to have it wired up for some reason. Guess I never was into the real wild fantesy stuff and I am curious! :confused:
Cheers Willis

the ho/nscale layout is just our test track here at work.

we are making a hot box detector as i said earlier. it shoots a beam of ir light accross the top of the track to count axles. the defects it detects are purely fabricated, but it does count axles and reads ambient air temperature. it then feeds all of the info to the control box that has the processor and anunciator chip in it. the processor calculates axle count, scale speed and scale length of the train. it then gives an announcement of all of these things. it is also programable with many customizable rail names and you can tel it what mile post it is located at.

this is the project that got me back into model railroading. once we started on it, i dug out my old trains and decided that since i have my own house and noone to tell me how much space i could use, i would start making a permanent layout based on the horror stories of lovecraft.

i haven't been doing much on it lately since i hav been frantically working on my merkur xr4ti for the upcoming show at carlisle, pa this weekend.

should have some time to work on it after that.

if anyone is interested.
Yep went there, guess I'll go back again when I have a bit more time. Quite a bit of info available, the hot box detector is an interesting bit of circuitry. As you say I doubt we'll have any hot assemblies on the models but it certainly it has many other programmable functions that could be usefull especially on a large layout. BTW what is a merkur xr4ti haven't heard of that either.
Cheers Willis

> I can see modeling a hotbox detector, but you seem to have
> it wired up for some reason.

Real brass bearing and working journals? Looks like a train dectection circuit to me, but that's not what he called it, so I'm as confused as you are.

looks like you just read the background page of the hot box detector, which is talking about the real ones. ours doesn't actually detect any defects, they can be set to be annunciated randomly or when you want. the model one does give you actual axle count, trains speed. train length , and ambient temperature.

you're correct in saying that it looks like a train detection circuit. the sensors are basically the same. the only real difference there is that these are mounted to just barely peek over the top of the track so only the wheels break the beam.

the xr4ti was built by ford of germany and imported by mercury from '85 to '89. it has become a realy rare car since ford of usa has discontinued every part for it. there is a pretty good sized cult following for the vehicles and a few places that are having replacement parts manufactured or morting parts from europe to keep the cars on the road.

arkham railroader said:
there is a pretty good sized cult following for the vehicles.

After looking at the photo, one has to ask.......

Is there more than 3 people in this car cult of your's????? :confused:

:D :D :D

there are supposed to be over 200 of these things there this year.
Thought you said they were rare, gee I doubt they are as rare as my 84 BuicK which is still my main car :D
Cheers Willis

they are coming from as far off as california and everywhere inbetween and some are coming down from canada. so with all those places there are a few of em around.

Back