Love of Trains

Texas Hobo

Well Known Hobo
I have loved trains for as long as I can remember. I got my first electric train (Marx) when I was 4. Santa Clause had to take them back though, seems throwing them was not the proper way to make them move. At 12 I got a Lionel set for Christmas, and a few days later a surprise Marx set. I have great memories of watching steam locomotives pulling long freights along side the Deerfield River just outside Shelburne Falls, MA. I would sit on my grandfathers lap and count the cars, course I could only get to about 23 or four and granddad would have to take over. Hearing those steam whistles reverberate though the Berkshires was simple awesome. Anyway time has moved on, now in my 70's with a nice 11 foot by 6 foot L-shaped N scale layout. It is loosely based in New England, with the majority of the locomotive power Boston and Maine. I use Kato Unitrack. I know it's not prototypical but it is so dependable.
Overall - Shelburne Feb 2019.jpg

DARN -- Very nice pike there!
Welcome to the forum! Got my first MARX set when I was 6 - still have it - my Mom was smart enough to save it after I discovered girls, (HA - should have stuck with the trains, LOL)
Hope you show us more of your layout... we like pictures!
When you have not much to do- join some of us old fogies in the "Running Bear Coffee Shop" down near the bottom of the forums list! Most anything is game in moderation.

Welcome aboard Texas Hobo. Very nice looking layout. Glad you could join us. As Sherrel said, we love seeing pictures, so please so some more.

I use Kato Unitrack. I know it's not prototypical but it is so dependable.

Welcome to our neighborhood, Texas Hobo. That's a mighty fine looking layout you have there. Not for nothing, no model railroad track will ever be prototypical. Unitrack is as good as any other, and from the looks of your layout, it is just fine. Keep the photos coming.

Boris

Welcome aboard Texas Hobo. Good to see another Texan here. I'm about 65 miles north of DFW out in the middle of nowhere! I model flatlands ATSF in HO. I am part way through the scenery portion of the layout, most trackwork is complete. Ain't nothing wrong with Unitrack.

Thank you all for the welcome. I started the current layout "Deerfield and Apple Ridge in Jan. 2019. The previous layout " Deerfield and Northern was a double main but with very little in the way of operational potential. I got tired and bored with it so I tore it down and started anew. The current design is a single track up and over with 3 passing tracks. It is DCC and can accommodate 2 operators. I too am in the scenery phase, with a large mountain and a river on the schedule to soon be installed.

Back