LOTS Of CSX, 40 Minutes Of CSX In Manlius

afleetcommand

Proof yet again the best CSX is the impromptu kind. Seems like every time I go with Purpose to video that particular RR, I end up with nothing. Everytime I wander thru that area, I stumble on to things like this...

Looong Container Train
Makes me wonder where they manage to 'stage' such a long train until they get it unloaded??

another forum....
Just like yarding a train that doesn't fit in a single yard track, you double over the portion that doesn't fit in another track. Typically you drag in and spot the rear car in the clear, then come out with whatever doesn't fit on the head end and shove into another track.

This is a common problem with these mega trains. You might have a smoking trip into town but then you wait forever for a spot to clear up in the yard. The key is the train makes it into town so the train shows "arrived" to the customer even though you're not done with the trip.

Just Wondering.......take Florida for instance

I'm living in St Augustine (northern FL). There are a lot of long container car trains going thru, and I am imagining headed to Miami area. Lets say one of them has 120 cars in it. In general what sort of yarding tracks might it have down there that the train could be divided up into individual tracks so as to not be sitting (and blocking) across road intersections.

Then i imagine those cares need to be unloaded, and the empty cars moved back to that yard track they were brought to originally?

Then I imagine those empty containers need to be brought back up north??

Just sort of wondering about the logistics of this whole operation??

This yard here is one place they are built, no idea where they are taken apart, the Manlius yard is literally miles long and have the over head "crane" system to load & unload those containers. ALSO with the increased shipping to eastern sea port, there prolly will be more of this. I've never seen as much activity as I have this last couple of months up there.

Back