Looking for steam locos that smoke

Agree wholeheartedly with montanan about smoking model locos, whether diesel or steam, produce a very POOR EXCUSE for smoke. Besides, no maker advertisements show side by side comparisons!!!!

Agree wholeheartedly with montanan about smoking model locos, whether diesel or steam, produce a very POOR EXCUSE for smoke. Besides, no maker advertisements show side by side comparisons!!!!

Some smoke better than others and you can make them smoke even more with mods but if my BLIs smoked anymore you couldn't run them in the house. LOL Black smoke in the house would be an instant boot to the curb. :)

We have one guy that runs a Yellowstone at the club and sometimes the smoke gets a bit thick.

I can remember visiting relatives in Northern Indiana and if they heard a steam locomotive approaching and had laundry hanging on th eline outside, they would get it off the clothsline and into the house in no time. did not like the black smoke at all.

That's like the strange signs they have at checkouts, especially in the smaller grocery stores here. "Smoking products will not be supplied to Minors". I keep looking for stuff on the shelves to see if any are smoking. Have never found any, so I guess all the Minors are pretty safe.
Ever notice that the signs that read "No shirt, no shoes, no service." never mention pants?

I have an HO steam locomotive that smokes. It's from Bachmann and it's a 0-6-0 TND/SMK ERIE HO, item BAC50735.

It smokes when you apply smoke fluid through the smoke stack and run it long enough and then poof poof it smokes! Pretty neat too!

I don't know if they're still available though, I bought mine back in 2005. 1615021770145781576024.jpg

For clearer pictures
0826201556a.jpg

0826201606.jpg

Does this help?

Last edited:
Does anyone have any good experience with Broadway Limited steam locos and their smoke generation?
The problem I have is longevity. The museum layout mainline is 20.5 smiles long. Speed limit is 20 smph. Fill up the smoke unit leaving the staging yard and it makes it about 1/2 way through the layout before it has to be filled again. So the smoke fluid only lasts 30 minutes or so.

Sometimes smoke might be a light gray, but it is also be black and in great quantities.
The color of the "smoke" is often a testament to the skill of the fireman. Could also be bad fuel, but with good fuel and a good fireman the smoke should be your light grey color.

BLI's smoke generators are quite good, not as good as the MTH versions. In fact, those two entities fought a legal battle over theft of patented technology. MTH sued BLI, and they lost. BLI won the battle, but not the battle for 'best smoke generators'. My opinion, of course.

None of the HO smoke generators is very realistic. In BLI's case, they will quickly burn out the element if you run them dry, or if you don't turn them off as soon as you start to set CV configurations in the decoder when you first place the locomotive on powered rails. There's a switch under the cab floor to turn it off. If you get one, invert the loco, turn off the smoke, and then start to set address and the motive characteristics in CV's 2-6. You'll also want to reduce Master Volume.

Note: the Paragon series of decoders won't do anything when you power up the rails under them. It will be when you begin to dial in speed steps on hour throttle that it will begin to emit sound and to move. Don't get fooled!!

Back