Looking for a more detailed GORRE & DAPHETID RR Trackplan.

I had the pleasure of visiting the layout in 1965. John was gracious if not a bit etcentric - NO flash pictures (this with KodaChrome asa 12 film),-- nobody but John touches the train,-- a bump of a hump approaching a stop making you add throtle going up but backing off before the top or you over-run the stop. An awsome experience for our club.

I bet being there in person was a sight to behold. I have an original print of Westcott's book, and in it I have an original letter from John Allen to *forget his name* personally inviting him to his house and layout.

The book came from my uncle, who got it from someone else. Not knowing how many hands this book has passed through I'm no sure if my uncle got it from the guy that Allen invited or not. But the book is in excellent shape as is the letter.

"I bet being there in person was a sight to behold. I have an original print of Westcott's book, and in it I have an original letter from John Allen to *forget his name* personally inviting him to his house and layout."

What a wonderful heirloom, D94R.

You have probably visited...

http://gorre-and-daphetid.witt-family.com/
http://homepage.mac.com/doug56/G&D/
http://www.gdlines.com/

Jeff:

Thanks again. Since last responding, I have spent a great deal of time at the "homepage.mac.com" site. I was able to get the ol' G&D up and running on "TrainPlayer" software with the layout background accompanyment thanks to the efforts of the "mac" website author and software developer. From what I learned there, I was also able to ascertain how to "acquire" the digital information from the track plan too. So, now I can quickly integrate all of the curve radius, curve centers, and other track information from the G&D layout into my own plan (I had been scaling off all of this information off of drawings by hand in the past).

This will help me to more quickly and accurately develop my layout plan (to fit my layout room, etc.). The layout backgrounds, and the operations descriptions (with supporting photographs) have really helped me to learn how all of the pictures that I've gathered, and seen on-line (such as at the other websites that you referenced "fit together".

I'm still not done with all of the information the "mac" website provides, as I am still learning my geography, and much much more. Just wanted to let you know that you've been a great help. It just goes to show, that a second (and more serious) look at something often reveals a great deal more than first impressions.

I've also taken another fellow's advice (from this forum) and have begun monitoring correspondence on the yahoo GandD forum. Based on what I've learned so far on the "yahoo" forum, which is a very great deal, I expect that I will be concentrating my efforts there in the future. So, if you don't hear from me again, or if I should prove slow to respond (or reach), it will likely be due to the fact that I am still studying the sites that you recommended; and that I will be watching the "yahoo" forum more in the future.

I just wanted to say thank you. It was because of your suggestion, that I really settled down and took a serious second look at those sites.

Dave

To find the Gorre & Daphetid in Yahoo Groups here's the link to their search:
http://groups.yahoo.com/
Type in "GandD" in the search box then click on 1st one. You'll have to join but it's free.
There's a ton of info on the G&D on this site so give yourself plenty of time to go thru it all! And "The Book" has been or will be reprinted.

Andy, thank you for the recommendation. I did join the "yahoo" forum as you had suggested. The other evening, I spent a number of hours just reading a few of the messages that those folks have recently shared. Wow, I was staggered by how much that I learned about the G&D and John Allen (and I only read about 50 of the over 10,000 entries on the forum). I haven't written anything on that site yet, and I don't expect to for some time. I believe that most (if not all of my questions) have probably already been addressed there if I just but seek them out. So I expect that I will be spending much time in the coming months just reading and learning from those experts' comments and correspondence for some time to come. Some of those guys had met John Allen, participated in operating sessions, and were even allowed to independently photograph the layout on occassion. The site is a real treasure trove for G&D fans.

I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion to check out the "yahoo forum". I will probably be spending most of my "on-line" time there in the future, and wanted to let you know that even though advice may be free ... it often contains gems and treasures for those who really listen and heed to what one has to say.

Take it easy, Andy, and thanks again for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Dave

Back