Looking for 4 axle power w/ ditch lights

PMW

My layout is somewhat modern and I would like to run some older power (GP40s and similar). These older engines still run to some extent in my layouts era but they would have had ditch lights installed. I can't find any older power available that are equipped with ditch lights to look like what I want.

It's probably the case that one can install ditch lights on a loco but then wouldn't one have to assign their on/off to a function on the decoder? What if I want them to alternate like my prototype? I wouldn't know where to start! Can't I just give some manufacturer my money :) ?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Paul

dirch lights can be added to most locos, some smd leds, resistors and fine wire. i sold a bunch of these on ebay. for alternating lights you need two spare function outputs on your decoder. a little tamiya translucent yellow gave it the needed colour ..blue is positive common, black is to the function pad on the decoder.
swtch 001.jpg

Out of the current production stuff, I believe some of the Athearn Genesis GP15-1's and some of the Rapido B36-7's have ditch lights. I think it varies by roadname and prototype on both of those, so check carefully to make sure. I also think the Rapido ditch lights alternate when you activate the horn, but I'm not sure about the Athearn ones.

It looks like the Atlas Gold series GP40's will have ditch lights. Those are in pre-order status right now, with predicted delivery Summer 2022. Which means they could actually be on the shelf anywhere from 2022 to 2026....

Out of the current production stuff, I believe some of the Athearn Genesis GP15-1's and some of the Rapido B36-7's have ditch lights. I think it varies by roadname and prototype on both of those, so check carefully to make sure. I also think the Rapido ditch lights alternate when you activate the horn, but I'm not sure about the Athearn ones.

It looks like the Atlas Gold series GP40's will have ditch lights. Those are in pre-order status right now, with predicted delivery Summer 2022. Which means they could actually be on the shelf anywhere from 2022 to 2026....
Thanks for that info

Just FYI, the only railroads that currently have alternating ditch lights are the Eastern ones, and not all of them. Western roads do not have alternating ditch lights.

Just FYI, the only railroads that currently have alternating ditch lights are the Eastern ones, and not all of them. Western roads do not have alternating ditch lights.
Thanks I always like info about the prototype. I run csx and ns, as you know both use flashing ditch lights.

Last edited:

A true statement, but I love operating ditch lights and have installed ditch lights on some SW1200's from smaller regional and private roads' locomotives that make an appearnace on my CM&N Railroad.

I just bought a new CSX SD70M and out of the box the ditch lights did not alternate! I'm glad the solution to that was right in the manual :)

Back