Logging Equipment

PlowGuy

Well, I’ve taken quite a liking to customizing and painting 1:87 vehicles. I have always enjoyed painting and weathering trains for my display case (no layout) but never really gave much thought to the vehicles until I recently built my photo diorama. After taking a few pictures of the trains everything seemed so hum drum and a little boring. I realized that in order to get the great visual effects I was looking for I needed to add some more “action” to the scene…. You know, other vehicles, people, even build a story as to what is going on in the scene. I know this is nothing new and people model these scenes all the time, but I never really gave it much thought as all my stuff are static displays in 2 acrylic cases.
I am planning on starting another diorama soon, and decided I wanted to go with a logging theme. I figured the best way about building the diorama is to have the “story” ahead of time and that included having some logging equipment.
I went to the Amhurst Model Railroad Society show in Springfield Mass 2 weeks ago and saw many logging scenes; however the one thing that stood out like a sore thumb was that almost everyone’s scene was the same. What I mean by that is most modelers there had off the shelf models, and they all looked the same, only positioned differently. Seemed like there was a lack of customization on the logging equipment (most all vehicles to be honest) as most probably focus more on the trains and the other items tend to become secondary.
I knew then that I needed to kit bash and scratch build some unique things to be a little more visually appetizing. I did a lot of research online looking at logging sites, different manufacturers etc. The best thing was I realized that loggers are a unique bunch of fellows… lots of homemade equipment, shade tree engineering and basically using what they had. So, really the sky’s the limit as just about anything you can build could possibly be a legitimate piece of machinery.
Most of what I did was purchase some of these off the shelf items I mentioned earlier, take them apart, mix and match parts and pieces and add a few scratch built details where needed. A bit of grinding, sanding, bomding yada yada… Another thing I wanted to do was to have everything painted similar as if it was all owned by a local logging company, and painted so that when you look at the scene the individual pieces “Pop” out at you.
I still have a lot of detail work to do like paint the interiors, and touch up some of the weathering etc, but I wanted to post up a few pictures to get some feedback. I also plan on making some custom decals with a company name or logo for each piece. I have a few other pieces in the works including a feller buncher, a wood chipper, and some other odds and ends including a another excavator type tractor with an exposed engine with work being done on it.
Okay, enough yip yapping, here is what I have been working on as of late:
This started as an NZG excavator with metal tracks. I only used the tracks and the operator cab. The engine compartment is scratch built and the grapple and boom are from Herpa.
001_zps60567039.jpg

Next is an Athearn Skidder. I didn’t do much to this one except replace the rope on the winch with a length of 40 lpi chain.
002_zps4214de55.jpg

This is a First Gear dozer that I added a Root Rake to the front blade, a brush screen to the front of the operator’s area, and a chain on the winch.
004_zps2257b3e5.jpg

This is another Athearn Skidder that I removed the rear section from. The current rear portion is from the front of a Volvo Front end loader, and the grapple is a portion of the front of another Volvo log loader with some “adjustments”.
003_zps95f79305.jpg

This was one of the most fun to build, It started off as a as an Athearn Flatbed used for moving intermodal conex boxes. I scratch built the log braces as well as the mesh “headache rack”. The grapple is again from Herpa. I figured the extra chain hanging on here was a nice touch.
005_zpsfa94a0f8.jpg

Finally this was a case excavator I picked up at the show for a good price. I used the boom, cab, and the tracks but moved some stuff around a bit. The engine compartment was from one of the Volvo loaders. Not sure why they would have an Oxy/Act set up chained to the back of the cab, but I figured who knows…. Might need it for some backwoods repairs!!!
006_zps52084e1e.jpg

Overviews:
007_zps38d5a060.jpg

008_zpse0421255.jpg

OH MY GOD! STOP THEM! They are destroying the trees on your layout!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Very nice as usual PlowGuy.I just went and got some chalk and some paint this weekend to try your techniques.

i love the tires on the skidder. Very cool.

Thanks Kevin.... I have some airbrushing to do on all of them as there is a little too much green, I was thinking of painting the skidders canopys black and adding some shading on the equipments access covers. everythings just a little too blah.

Post some pics when you weather some stuff!!!!!

More pics to come.............

God that scene almost looks real. That is so good. Do you have pics of your layout anywhere?

Very nice, I have a few pieces I have to do up for my mill so I'll be watching for tips!

Hey, your stuff looks really cool. If you are going for sheer wow factor, you are allready there.

A couple tweeks would add some realism. The cable skidder, where you added the chain, would actually really be wire rope out to about 6' from the end. At that point is usually where the chain begins, oftentimes more than one "choker". The chokers could be either chain or wire rope.

The grapple skidder, the grapple is way too big and too far back. Any load would tip this thing over backward. There would be a blade on the front, like the other skidder.

The log trailer, there would be a knee out the boom towards the bucket, which would act like a lever that the ends of the logs would bump into when lifting them off the ground. The shovel loader would probable have one, too.

To the untrained eye, they are entirely awesome as is.

(from someone who has operated all the stuff you modeled.)

lasm

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement! Iasm, I will definitly take what you suggested onboard and make a few changes. I like the idea of adding the knee for the end of the loks on the booms, and I i will see about adding some wire rope on the skidder. I thought the grapple was a little overkill, might have to scratch build one a little smaller or even do clam bunk.

Thanks again! Anyone have any of theirs to share????

Heh, nobody that can compete with you man. Your weathering is killer. And your models are so cool. I would love to see your whole collection.

That's just amazing. While I love my N layout because of how much I can fit into a space, I would love to (and some day will) model some HO stuff even if it's just static display or a small switching layout. The extra detail, the extra things you can do with it when tires are bigger than a pinhead, y'know? :)

Seriously, though, great job. Whatever I get into in HO I could only hope it looks half that good.

You are the man looks awesome do they have permission to cut those trees oh heck it's not real,lol nice stuff.

Here are 2 more… First is a Boley truck that I removed the plastic branch guard from above the cab and built a new one of styrene and metal mesh. The chipper is from Model Power and took forever to find. Both repainted in my as of now un-named logging company’s colors.
001_zps7954225b.jpg

006_zps58af1458.jpg

003_zps38cd5358.jpg

005_zps92ea94ec.jpg

007_zpsecddf0e7.jpg

008_zps4ec7cff4.jpg

Great job on the mesh! Did you replace the wheels as well?
That chipper looks like the old "chuck 'n duck" style, yikes! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get those guys to work! Just not on your layout this time. Wait, if you don't have a layout, is the photos in your first post a diorama? That branch guard looks sweet.

How about Guilford Logging Co.

The wheels are the ones that were on it when I bought it, but may not be original to the model as I bought it in a plastic bag from a box of vehicles at a Hobby store in N.H.

Kevin, you got it, no layout, just a diorama. I am woking on a second diorama that will hopfully put this one to shame... it will be focused on the logging theme with a big walthers log unloader for the log cars I am also working on. Lots of projects going on at once to meet a personal deadline to complete the diorama and logging vehicles..... I have it planed out in my head... hopefully I can get all the elements to cometogether and represent what I am going after. Here is a shot of the dio.... its about 2 feet by 3 feet.
037.jpg039.JPG

Heh, as always Jim.

Steve, your diorama looks great. I always figured you had a big impressive layout. But I guess that would take time away from you building your vehicles. If you ever did though I can just imagine how awesome it would be. But I completely understand why you do what you do. I have spent countless hours building models and I don't have a layout either. A track plan is holding me up and I don't have the skills to come up with one that works. So until the design hits me in the face I will continue modeling. It's bringing back memories of the days when I did dioramas and kit-bashing also because that was all I had room for. I am loving it now even more than I did then. I think because life is more stressful now and it is very relaxing. Anyway, I cannot wait to see your vision finalized. I think your work should be featured on the cover of a modeling magazine. You have interests and skills working with some very cool models.

One question, what are you using for a light box to photograph your models?

Thanks Jim

Kevin, I appricite the kind words about my models/modeling. No layout for me right now, I am in the Military and have 2 1/2 years left until I retire.... I may not stay in the area when I get out, so I would hate to put so much work into a layout only to have to tear it down. I enjoy so many aspects of our hobby, building, painting, weathering, scenery, operating etc. The dioramas let me get a taste of everything (except operating) and when I do move I will take them with me and try to incorporate some elemants into the layout. For now I will continue to build models and display them in my acrylic cases so that when the day comes I will have them ready to put out. I see how some things are hard to find after a few years, so I am trying to collect up what I like as it may not be available or priced well when i need it in a few years.

I built 2 other dioramas over the years, took a few pics and then got rid of the dioramas.... wish I had kept them. I have had one photo of one of my snowplows in ModelRailroader Magazine a while back, may have 1 or 2 more to come. The logging dio is what I am hoping to appear as well...... I will be headed overseas for a while so I want to get it done, take the photos, and submit once I am gone. I wont be doing much modeling where I am going, so I have to get it in now.

I do not have a light box to take photos, in fact all the pics above were taken on a piece of white paper from my daughters art easle, sitting on the trunk of my wifes car in the garage with the afternoon sun shining on them.....LOL :) nothing technical here. Oh... an my camera.... an old Nikon "cool pix" LOL..... one day I'll get a nice camera.

Back