locomotive's by atlas

dr.x

i've been looking at the atlas line of locomotives. most of them have a 5 pole skewed armature motor and dual flywheels. what does mean????
is this good or bad????

Very Good

Inside the model locomotive is a small DC (direct current) motor. Good quality units have a drive train that transfers the mechanical power to all of the wheels that contact the track. Early models, and simple direct current motor with a 2-pole rotating armature some inexpensive ones today, usually used a simple motor with a 3-pole armature. One way to improve (my edit -MLW-) performance and smoothness (MLW) is to manufacture motors with a 5-pole armature.

This gives the motors much smoother torque characteristics by reducing the angular increments between each pole. Manufacturers can improve the smoothness even more, especially at low speeds, by angling or "skewing" the armature poles relative to the shaft. This increases the manufacturing cost, but reduces the tendency of the motor to "cog" or have a preferred angular position with the field magnets.

Example: simple direct current motor with a 2-pole rotating armature

2pole_motor.gif

More at this excellent website: http://www.electricalfun.com/model_trains.htm

Hopes this helps

I means they are more or less like all recently released models! Nothing special or different, these motors and flywheels have been around for quite some time now.

I only recently bought a couple of Atlas locomotives, one was a GP-7 dc non sound and I installed a dcc decoder in it.. and the other is a Dash 8-30W dcc and sound from the factory. I like the sound in it better than any other locomotive I own and the little GP-7 is just a smooth runnin' little engine. I like Atas products.
JaRRell

5 pole

thanks alot guys; now i understand a lot more. the only stupid question is the one you did'nt ask.
so i'll keep asking!!!!
thanks again

Hi Dr.x
I know the new Walthers Life Like engines with sound only have half size flywheels to make room for the speakers. If this goes for Altas to I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if this affects the none sound units. I like to know this myself. I think they would run better with the full size flywheels.

NYC_George

Dr.X, I have a pair of Atlas SD-24 Golds (sound) and they are super smooth runners, good pulling units, and darn good looking. With both units' decoders set in the (RTC) regulated throttle control, I didn't have to make any adjustments for MU'ing the units together...darn near a perfect match and wish I had other "Gold" models.

Thanks Rex for that post on Big Dog's question

Dr.X, I have a pair of Atlas SD-24 Golds (sound) and they are super smooth runners, good pulling units, and darn good looking. With both units' decoders set in the (RTC) regulated throttle control, I didn't have to make any adjustments for MU'ing the units together...darn near a perfect match and wish I had other "Gold" models.

Thanks Rex for that post on Big Dogs's question.
It's good to know how things look under the hood.

NYC_George

Back