locomotive wont move

segsig6

Good morning everybody - I am new to this forum & have an issue. I had set up a layout a few months ago and all was well. I just finished setting up a raised second track - not connected to the lower one - and last night my lower track was still working. Then connected the new raised track to the E-Z command control center and that worked too. Tried each a couple of times and all was good. Then came down a bit later and the train wont move on either track, but the command center still can make the beeps and whistles as if everything was ok. The tracks have no interruptions and everything is connected. Any ideas or suggestions? Dide I do something by switching tracks back and forth to the same controller ? Thank you in advance.

As an update - checked all track connections and wires and even reset button on EZ command control center controller to control train and it moved slightly like the manual said during reset - and then still the lights and beeps and whistles and horns all work - it just won’t run when I control it by turning the wheel

I use this controller and never had to input any code or address and it ran fine until it just stopped. And the signal seems to be getting to the train as I can control everything with the train except it won’t go.
02953E0E-C592-4186-94E3-0EB663F18501.jpeg

Does the controller need the loco address?
To add on to it, I always used 3 and as I said above, I reprogrammed it back to 3 snd it actually moved a few inches like the directions said it would, but it won’t run when I go to 3 and turn the wheel like it always had.

If loco has a speaker grill under it, the magnet will suck up metal, such as spikes, and they'll hang vertically in the grill getting snagged on the ties...
I had this happen many times where engine would would not move because of this and took me a while to get accustomed to recognizing this !!

If loco has a speaker grill under it, the magnet will suck up metal, such as spikes, and they'll hang vertically in the grill getting snagged on the ties...
I had this happen many times where engine would would not move because of this and took me a while to get accustomed to recognizing this !!
This had promise and checked and blew it out under and found nothing - and of course still not working. At this point I’m thinking the motor blew or something

You stated engine did move a little so would think not a blown motor…. Are you able to test track for correct electric flow? Could be the controller as well, but not sure how to test, unless you have a spare controller hanging around…

You stated engine did move a little so would think not a blown motor…. Are you able to test track for correct electric flow? Could be the controller as well, but not sure how to test, unless you have a spare controller hanging around…
The manual said when programming a new address on the controller, it “will move slightly” which it did. I am unable to test the track and don’t have an extra controller but I have two separate tracks and it doesn’t work on either which is why I mentioned the motor.

A common dcc issue is when cv19 gets a scrambled address. The decoder thinks it’s in a consist, and will only respond to the consist address.
If you have programming ability, set cv19 to 0, and see what happens.

Rough trying to solve a problem with limited resources…. Since the engine did move during reset, and controller does not operate speed but does have lighting and horn available on either track, I would think the problem has to be controller

When you increase the speed is there a hum which gets louder and louder but wheels don't turn ?
If yes, what about removing the shell on the loco and looking for something caught in the motor/shaft/flywheel/wheel axles-pickups/gearbox...
Are we assuming correctly you've no other loco to test track with ? Does a short occur if you put a nail across the rails ?
Does loco run if you disconnect wires from throttle to track and instead touch them directly to the loco wheels ?

Last edited:
A common dcc issue is when cv19 gets a scrambled address. The decoder thinks it’s in a consist, and will only respond to the consist address.
If you have programming ability, set cv19 to 0, and see what happens.
I must be too new of a newbie as I don’t understand how to set cv or where or what it does.

Might be a stupid simple solution, try pushing down on the throttle as you turn it, just some pressure, don’t try to push it through….

I must be too new of a newbie as I don’t understand how to set cv or where or what it does.
Didn't Bmann controller come with directions ? A CV is a DCC Control Variable.. I'm not familiar with your controller but it should be capable of changing CV values in the loco (tho I'm betting is not why your loco won't move)...Did you remove the shell yet to look inside ?

Last edited:
When you increase the speed is there a hum which gets louder and louder but wheels don't turn ?
If yes, what about removing the shell on the loco and looking for something caught in the motor/shaft/flywheel/wheel axles-pickups/gearbox...
Are we assuming correctly you've no other loco to test track with ? Does a short occur if you put a nail across the rails ?
Does loco run if you disconnect wires from throttle to track and instead touch them directly to the loco wheels
No other loco or controller but I am thinking of getting both to see which it is. Also, when I lay a nail across the tracks I get a short every time and all noise from loco stops for a second.

Back