Locomotive repowering

bnsfjason

Maintenance in the way
I have an Athearn GP60B and I want to change the current motor which is too noisy, what I was hoping is that someone could tell me what would be a good replacement motor that would be much quieter and probably has more power and it wouldn't affect the decoder that came with it.
I know there is a bunch of motors to choose from but which one would be recommended

If you're going to go that route check out the Aline motors. But you might want to look at the locomotive, I don't think all of the noise in the newer RTR's is the motor, but rather the drive shafts rubbing.

Somebody on this forum [can't remember who though] mentioned that the six-axel Athearns can't really be quieted, because of how the drivetrain is designed. One example of this type of noise is where a loco is relatively quiet moving forward, but growls whenever you run it in reverse.

A lot of people have said they've been able to quiet various 4-axel Athearns though (F-units, SW-7's, and a GP38-2 come to mind).

Thanks Smoke, I will try that for sure, now if it won't solve the problem which I think it will, I was wondering if there is another locomotive that has the same characteristics as the GP60 frame and details of the trucks,and what ever comes close to details of the GP60, I was thinking of maybe I could do some modifications to some other frame to accept the body of the GP60B

Back