Locomotive Lighting

D. Soppy

Do you use incandescent or LED lighting in your locomotives . For LED lighting do you use warm white (3000k) or daylight (5000k). I have a few old locomotives that just have the old 12v incandescent lamp in them and would like to go to LED or 1.5v incandescent with a DC-DC converter. I am currently running DC on my layout so withthe converter , the lamp would be at full brightness before the locomotive moves.

In all my DC locomotives I've stuck with incandescent lamps, most of which came with the engine. In the few instances where I kitbashed a locomotive (steam and diesel) and even where I added a decoder, I've stuck with the 12-14V "Edisons". If you do go to LED's with DC, just be sure you wire a resistor in series with one lead. I don't know what to recommend in terms of ohm rating. That may depend on the LED. I'm sure someone else will recommend something.

Prototype locomotive's lights are full bright while sitting still. The DC locomotive headlights will vary in brilliance depending on the throttle setting.
As LEDs are pretty much dirt cheap, you can experiment with them to see how different resistors affect the brilliance. Some LEDs are bullet shaped with the + and - leads trailing. Some LEDs are mere specs with varnished wires coming off of them. No rubber insulation required. Those are the easiest to install because of the extremely small size and brilliant light they put out. I just glue them in place with a few layers of glue over them then coat them with black paint, so it doesn't look like the locomotive has a campfire going on.

With a DC-DC converter , the track voltage can be anywhere between 2 to 24 volts and the output can be adjusted from 5 to 15 volts . That way an incandescent lamp will remain a constant brightness . My old Locos need at least 4 volts before they will move so the lights will be on long before there is any movement. I am leaning towards the warm white leds as they are easy and cheap to get.

Do you use incandescent or LED lighting in your locomotives . For LED lighting do you use warm white (3000k) or daylight (5000k). I have a few old locomotives that just have the old 12v incandescent lamp in them and would like to go to LED or 1.5v incandescent with a DC-DC converter. I am currently running DC on my layout so withthe converter , the lamp would be at full brightness before the locomotive moves.
Oh man, I had a friend who did a study of which LEDs would be appropriate for what era and class of locomotives. I wish I could find it. I do know that 5000K and higher is brighter and bluer than ANY prototype. I think 3000K is pushing it, especially for steamers. For some reason I was thinking more like 2200K.

Edit - found it. Remember this was back when LEDs were much more rare and expensive than they are these days.
http://www.trainweb.org/gnw/LED.htm

Last edited:
Might sound st00pid, but something ya might consider. Halide lights came about in the early 60's. Mercury vapor on the other hand is very old - late 1800's or so ifn I remember correctly. If you are a rivet counter, ya might not want a Halide on that old steamer.

Back