loco Direction help

I have read the post that I found in the search for the answer but I don't understand completely, I need help.

I want use this example to help you understand what I am after:
In DC you place a loco on the track and it goes the way that YOUR normal forward is regardless of the way the loco is facing. In DCC it is the opposite of that.

What I am wanting to do is to make all the DCC locos run that same way. I need to understand step by step how to program it that way with my Zephyr. I don't quite understand all the CV's and such as yet as I am new to this side of DCC. The only thing I have done in the past is pick up my friends throttle and ran the train. If that is not possible to do then how to change the CV for the direction.
I need it step by step so I can do it and understand. That way I can go into the system and change it as I need to do so. For ease of the help I have Digitrax Zephyr.

Thanks for the help.:confused:

Raymond,

With DCC, locomotive forward is always forward no matter which way the locomotive sits on the rails. You can change the end of the locomotive that is considered forward by changing a CV. I don't remember the number.

Are the locomotives you are having problems with "plug and play" or hardwired. If they are hardwired and run backwards, the motor leads have been reversed.

Glenn Samuel

the units are wired correctly with decoders and I am still learning on how to do this. i am just needing to learn how to reverse the forward of the loco say if I wanted to run a A-B-A set or GP's nose to nose in a consist.

Raymond,

CV29 will have to be changed. I have never used a Zepher, so I don't know if you can read the current value of CV29. It you can read CV29, add 1 to the value you read and then write that value back to the engine.

To calculate CV29, put the listed value in the blanks:
Normal direct in Forward =0 _____
Reverse Direction in Forward = 1 _____
14 Speed Steps = 0 _____
28/128 Speed steps = 2 _____
Analog (DC) operation disabled = 0 _____
Analog (DC) operation enabled = 4 _____
Loadable speed table inactive = 0 _____
Loadable speed table active = 16 _____
Use if address is 127 or less = 0 _____
Use if address is 128 or more = 32 _____
Total _____

For example: Engine #1147, reverse, 28/128 speed steps, analog off

Reverse Direction 1
28/128 speed steps 2
Analog operation off 0
Speed table inactive 0
Address is 128 or more 32
Total 35

Hope this helps. If you know someone that uses TCS decoders, TSC has a good chart to calculate the CV28 basic configuration, addressing, motor control, lighting control in the package with the M1 decoder.

Where do you live in North GA? I'm about 2 hours from Chattanooga or Atlanta.

Glenn Samuel

Back