loco cleaning

I believe that on most P2K locos, you only have to remove the two couplers/screws to remove the shell. Do not unscrew the two large brass screws.

Are they Walthers Proto, or older blue boxers by Life Like? There may be screws under the walkways if they're older blue box Life Like Proto 2000 models. You can try HO Seeker (google that). They have a large archive of instructions and parts diagrams.

I just disassembled a P2K FA1. I only had to remove the front coupler's draft gear box, one screw, and then remove four others near the fuel tank, under the walk-way.

Older Proto GP-38-2, besides removing the couplers, there maybe two tiny screws hidden one each under each truck towards the fuel tank. Move the truck(s) in one direction or the other and use a flash lite to help locate the screws. Be careful since these screws like to "Jump" into the trucks or the floor.

Be careful since they may have lighting attached to shell or in my case two lamps at either end of the locomotive attached to the frame.

I just worked on my older Proto GP38-2 and disassembled the locomotive many times in the past month or so.

Greg

Wooley, try Hoseeker.net That might show you how to breakdown your engine, I used it to search for Ho train parts from the late 50s and 60s. Hope that helps. worth a try.

Back