Local Hobby Shop burned to ground

Dougget

For anyone in the Rochester NY area, you've probably heard of and perhaps been to Despatch Junction.
Unfortunately, it caught fire on Monday evening and burned to nothing.
Here's a couple of links...

http://www.rochesterhomepage.net/st...espatch-junction/15936/35WeVWKb9EmsTpAMwjjBdg

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...2014/05/27/fire-at-despatch-junction/9611133/

What a great place. It was an old rail station located next to still active tracks. They had a ton of used inventory and it was just fun to browse around and look for that 'gem'. Then a train would roll by and everyone, especially kids, would run over to the back window and watch... then back to browsing.

I feel bad for the owner and employees. It was a lifestyle for them and I'm sure they'll miss the old shop more than anyone.

Sad news...

Doug

I live about an hour and a half south of Rochester and had heard of this Hobby Shop, although, never got the chance to visit. So much lost, my condolences go out to the owners, employee's and no doubt many loyal customers.

To my great surprise, I drove by the site of Despatch Junction a few days ago and a brand new building was standing!!! A quick internet search and I found that Stan had decided to rebuild. AWESOME!! The new building is in the style of the old station and is currently open.

I can't wait to stop by when they are open to check out the new digs.

Wombat457 - If this new shop is anything like the old, it would be worth the trip. In fact, a local club is going to build a new layout in the store. It sounds like they haven't started yet, so perhaps in a couple of months you could see the new layout under construction too.

Happy to share the good news about Despatch Junction. A bunch of great train people dedicated to the hobby.

Doug

Yes, Despatch Junction has reopened! The local NMRA Division is having a tour of some layouts that were open for the recent Mortimer Junction Convention for the committee that put it on and the layout owners that didn't get a chance to see others and a picnic this Saturday. (I am the current Superintendent of the Division.) I am going to try to stop in to see Stan and Company on my way home.

I also volunteer at the Rochester & Genesee Valley RR Museum, and we use a PC Caboose for train rides that was built at the Despatch Shops in East Rochester. Lots of Railroad History over there! (For more info on the Museum just Google the Museum.)

PC 18526 being pulled by ex US Army 80 tonner 1654 at the R&GV RR Museum:

80Tonner16543w.png

Just got home from an NMRA Convention Committee picnic. On my way home I went over to Despatch, NY, aka East Rochester, and stopped in to Despatch junction to spend some $$$ on some new Accurail car kits. Met Stan and congratulated him on rebuilding and staying in business.

They did a great job of capturing the flavor of the old Depot.

They are still putting stock on shelves, but are very much open and in business. Had a good crowd in the store this afternoon.

Have to agree with Rico - there are too few "good" LHS around, especially in the New York State Area. It is good to see Despatch Junction back in business.

Have to agree with Rico - there are too few "good" LHS around, especially in the New York State Area.

There is an excellent hobby shop about an hour and a half North North East of you up where I live in Geneva, NY as well. Do a search on Lake City Hobbies.

Back