loaded cars- what did you use?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

kjd

Go make something!
It's a Boeing 737 fuselage on a special car that carries them from Wichita, KS to Everett, WA.

Hi, Paul - too bad we'll never see that on the Siskiyou Line, huh?

Jeff is correct, it is a 737 fuselage. It is not finished yet, all the window and door masking needs to be applied and the wing root covers, for lack of a better description, need to be made.

As far as the Siskiyou, I think there would be major issues with "Exceeds Plate F" cars but, I wonder how far it would get if it was delivered via barge to Coos Bay for the Hauler to pick up? It is wide enough, (nearly 14 scale feet) it got hung up in some trees on one of the Freemo modules.

That is a real concern. On the MRL there is a certain track that is to be empty when one of the fuselages is passing by on the adjacent track. One day it wasn't and the resulting repair bill was rumored to be enough to affect the MRL profit sharing program.

More photos of its womb on this page:
http://www.pbase.com/locotrol/nrpm2007&page=3
and its own page here:
http://members.trainorders.com/pmack/fuselage/800.htm

JeffShultz

Stay off the tracks!
Paul,

I suspect it would get to the first tunnel and no further - they aren't even cleared for doublestacks.

Brakie

I use Chooch coil steel wire for one gon and Athearn steel coils for a open load.
The Chooch load..This load is scheduled to be painted a flat metal or oily black.
100_0979_edited.jpg

The Athearn steel coils..
NOTE: I oops! and place the coils on side ways instead of straight before taking the picture..Also these types of coils is shipped covered so,these will be painted for a "cold" coil load.

100_0978_edited.jpg

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Not bad Brakie! So I've stumbled onto a scrap load myself. I'm going to use all the little scraps from my tower project. Though I'll need some good weathering...

AGGRO

I, Aggro...
Sculptamold was used as the bases for the coal loads in my eastern hopper fleet. I pour spoon fulls of wet sculptamold into the hopper and generally shape the load with a butterknife. After its dry, I cote it well with several layers of black acrylic. Then comes a layer of white glue and sprinkling on coal. Thats followed by drybrushing gloss fininsh over the coal. I'll get some photos later.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.