LNER Signal Box

Smudge617

I have so many structures I really need to build, this is one I got last year (or was the year before?)
I've spent the day just prepping and painting (that's what the destructions, sorry, instructions say anyway), before I start putting it together hopefully tomorrow (well, that's my plan anyway)

As this kit is extremely thin, I'm debating whether to clear coat this before assembling so I don't damage the paint. 🤔

1675548208108.jpeg

All the interior is in the small plastic bag which also had to be painted, top left, It's supposed to look something like this.

20230204_215004[3511].jpg

Last edited:
@Smudge617

Looks like a nice kit, and I love wooden kits. Like you though, I have so many darn kits sitting in my "to do" boxes it's ridiculous.

Unfortunately, if I see something I like, I buy it whether I need it or not - I can't help it, that little guy in my head keeps threatening me if I don't and THAT scares the poo outta me :)

Looking forward to seeing your Signal Box coming together though mate. Might suggest, if the wood is that thin, you brace it with some strips of bass wood. I normally use 1/8th strip when I need to brace my kits. Sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know though :)

This is turning into a disaster, the bracing seems ok, but too much handling is causing problems with the paintwork, even tho' I'm using gloves, may well need to re-paint this, which as it's two colours, is problematic.

Hmm - do you use a primer to seal the wood? Clear coat would no doubt do the same thing I'd imagine. To be honest, I have never tried painting anything Wood or Plastic without first priming it, so not sure if paint (acrylic or oil) would stick to unprepared surfaces or not.

The good thing about using a clear coat is that you can still do it without ruining the painting you've already done.

Nearly finished my second attempt at this signal box, this is a plywood kit, seriously messed up the steps for this, so I'll have to try and salvage what I can and scratch build some parts.

1677350328440.jpeg

I also haven't installed the interior yet or lighting, so making this so the roof is removable, just added some strengtheners and I need to patch the tiling.

1677350562063.jpeg

Back