Little Red Caboose

GaryMc

Kits are usually fun to build but this was anything but, Labelle directions are terrible and have to read over and over again. Used Grandt line trucks and Kadee couplers with a few scratch built parts. Hon3 you have very little options for a reasonable priced caboose, Blackstone brand are nice but the $70.00 price tag is a little steep in my book for plastic, with a little more $ you can have a very nice detailed brass caboose, well enough of my ranting and hope you enjoy my little red caboose.

It's too long.

(...but then everything looks too long to me... ;) )

It looks really cool. :) and those window shades are a nice touch. How do you get the decals to fit the grooved slats?

Greg

It's too long.

(...but then everything looks too long to me... ;) )

It looks really cool. :) and those window shades are a nice touch. How do you get the decals to fit the grooved slats?

Greg

Thanks Greg, It's only 28'. The decals i use solva set and a heat gun to get them to lay down in the grooves, wood is always kinda tricky as the solva set soaks in and you have to re-apply it.

Thanks Greg, It's only 28'. The decals i use solva set and a heat gun to get them to lay down in the grooves, wood is always kinda tricky as the solva set soaks in and you have to re-apply it.

Nice decal technique, Gary. The finished appearance is impeccable. I was just joking around about the length because everything I build is short... it's actually very well proportioned.

By the way... do you happen to have any pics of it on the rails?

Greg

Michael, yes i plan on weathering it some just haven't made it that far yet...will post some pic's when done.

Greg, I will post some pic's on the rails soon.

Thanks guys for the intrest.

Modeling a wood car with anything other than real wood, well, it looks like something else. Very nice caboose!

Great work, Gary.

I've built such a LaBelle kit too.

10-08-05_IMG_0581_250.jpg

And I had my problems. Here's my HowTo. I had an older kit, and I've got answers from LaBelle. But I was faster and had already solved the problem.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang, nice job on your caboose. I like the cast metal end rails and ladders,my kit didn't have those just wire and a stamped brass ladder. Had the same problem when mounting the trucks and had to file down some of the frame so they could swivel properly.

Looks good! Those LaBelle kits aren't for the faint hearted! Burt then, most craftsman level kits I've built have an "oops" or two in the instructions :D
That's why we have "Modeler's License". Looks like it worked out for you.

Thanks Alan,
Once I figured out what they were trying to tell you what to do it went easy, and I agree that Labelle kits are not for the faint at heart...better bring your patience.

Back