Lionel Type VW transformer whistle switch

Joeponcho

Hello,
I have a Lionel Type VW transformer that I’m using with the Polar Express Train set. When I activate the whistle switch the whistle doesn’t sound. It seems like there’s a voltage spike when I activate it because the train speed increases. Could it be that the diode is bad in the transformer even though it speeds up when activated? I know the whistle in the engine works because it sounds with the transformer that came with the set.

Disclaimer: I only remember my fathers Lionel layouts and accessories, so I may be a bit off. My brother who has all of Dad's stuff provided me with the part #.
First of all, all VW transformers are over 70 years old and it's highly possible that the diode has gone bad. Dad used accessory whistle switches, part # 167 on the non-whistle circuits of his ZW transformers, to provide whistle signals to those circuits. It may be that you need to obtain one of these to operate the whistle. They attach between the variable power post on the transformer and the outer rail lug of the lock-on. I think that this is correct, but don't hold me to it.

1607200701573.png

Since I do HO, I do not know the availability of these controllers.

Thanks Santafewillie! I put a meter on the VW transformer and the original CW-80 and got 8.5/11.3 VAC at 3/4 throttle- 8.5 Volts then 11.3 with whistle switch activated. Then I got the same results with the VW transformer. But the whistle works with the CE-80 but not with the VW. Why would that be?

Back