Lionel Trains at Walmart

It's a steal at $129. OTOH, the fact they've already put it on sale tells me how well it's selling.

For what it's worth, the local A.C. Moore has been running a late night shopping event once per week which doesn't seem to be a Christmas only thing. My wife picked up a Lionel O-Gauge Pennsylvania Flyer set and Thomas the Tank Engine set for about $115 each. Both are for my almost 4 year old son who loves trains.

As for the 2 LHS' loosing business from the big box stores, I'd say it's the exact opposite in my case. All of my trains from when I was a boy are HO. When my wife came home with the 2 sets, first thing I did was start planning a layout and dropped additional $$ on more track and accessories.

Yeh Ive seen some good deals around xmas
some individual O cars in clearance bin after xmas last year at walmart for just a few bucks each!
I do HO, but thought about gettin them and passing them on selling them here or ebay or something
I think Wally world and Target have Bachmann Ho set online now too, not in stores. Not sure if they had them before?
Never can tell for sure what might pop up in some stores though.
Same for SCX slot cars. Toys R us has trains at Xmas only
Thing is its seasonal so they usually blow em all out after Xmas if theres any left over.
May have to fgo to Toys R us day after xmas this year.
Local "Sleep Train" matress srore was advertizing a free train set with each matress set bought. LOL I think it was lifelike HO
http://www.sleeptrain.com/page.aspx?nid=128
hmm still going on.. Free Ho train set, may have to go, need another matress set for the kids.

i was strongly considering getting the set i saw by the register, just to run around the tree. but i dont think this is the same set you guys are talking about - although i could swear it said Lionel. this set is only 50 bucks (started at 88.00). its battery powered and has a handheld remote. i still think itd be fun to decorate with the kids and run around the tree. might pick it up today, but i was holding out to see if the price drops any further...

I was at my local super walmart and they didn't have any. On top of that they looked at me like I was crazy when I asked.

The Lionel display in my local supercenter is pretty big. It's about 20ft long, 8ft. high & well stocked w/tee shirts for kids & adults, jackets & caps. Posters, metal & plastic signs & train sets. The trains are the cheap brand of Lionel. These are transformer powered & they don't look like they are selling many except to store employee's. They told me yesterday if any were left over they would be going for half price of $175.00.
Seems like most of the stores in my area have them & not selling. I have 9 stores w/in 50 miles of me.

I was at my local Supercenter today, and they had a lionel set-up at the jewelry area, they were selling:

A kids play Lionel set
An O gauge ELECTRIC set
A G guage battery powered POLAR EXPRESS set
A Lionel video, for kids
Tee shirts (lionel), for kids and adults
A couple of other Lionel odds and ends, forgot what though.

This Wal-mart is in Plover, Wisconsin.

There are a few Lionel items like signs and T-shirts and one of those cheap sets at my Wal-Mart. They've never had any other model train sets in stock at all. As I said, this is the wrong economy to try and sell $175 train sets to the average Walmart customer.

Bummer finished my xmas shopping at 2 Walmarts this weekend.
They only had the $99 polar express.
They had a set running on a table, which was cute.
But Definetly not the nice O set Ive seen at local Hobby Shop. It was all plastic.
I Couldn't find anything else either.
I'm going to check out toys r us, day after xmas, they stocked some decent life like HO sets last year, marked down after xmas. Might need another F7 and some filler.
(Oh yeh while we were there some lady pulled a gun on another after arguing over a parking spot, insane, no one was hurt)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pulled a gun on another lady in San Diego? The state of strict gun control laws? Well, I never....:rolleyes:

yeh we stayed and watched for a bit. Sweet SDPD helicopter hovering overhead, 8 squad cars 9mm's and shotguns drawn, then the police canine unit was sent into to clear the now empty car and then the trunk, standard procedure to ensure no one else was hiding in the car. Interesting, glad no one was hurt. Then we went back to shopping. Shoulda got a few more boxes of .45 cal ACP LOL ... hmm could make nice diarama...
"Traditional American Holiday shootout at the local Wallmart"

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. I can remember several Christmas seasons in California where we were called for violent disputes over a parking space in a shopping center. One memorable one was a lady calling dispatch screaming and hollering that a man was trying to kill her. Rolled everyone in the world, including the CHP and our helicopter. Turns out she had cut off a guy who was about to pull into a spot. He calmly went to his trunk, got a four foot long prybar, and proceeded to smash out all her car windows. He was working on the headlights and grill when we got there. He was very cooperative once we got the dog unhooked from his butt. :D I guess he missed the "Peace to All' part of the season in church.

Back