Lionel Train

OldGettysk

Running the MC & Buffalo
Hi Guys . I have a question and don't know where to start. I have a chance to buy a boex set of Marcks cars circa 40 - 50's packaged in a Sears & Roebucks Box This also has a Lionel Engine that the fellow telss me is in good working condition . The track for it is included. can anyone give me an Idea if Lionel Sold train sets under Sears & Roebuck and how much tey would be worth today. I have no Idea since I don't deal with that scale . Thanks for any help OLDGETTYSK.

I'm not a Lionel train person, but what you've described sounds like some mismatched items in a box. Louis Marx made 027 equipment that was a lot cheaper than Lionel models, they would not have been boxed together.

Lionel engines all have individual cab numbers, and enthusiasts can tell you approximate value with the number. Condition is everything - is everything still there, no broken parts, scratches, well worn from use, etc. Prewar models are the ones with the higher values, more recent ones have less value. Not all Lionel trains have a great value, one of the misconceptions in our hobby and with the general public.

I suggest joining the Trains.com forums, they have one for Classic Model Trains, where all like enthusiasts gather. They can probably provide more information. Photos can help too.

Thanks for reply Railphotog I have a problem , I'm buyimg these thru a third party sight unseen. He's pretty reliable so I.m going on his word . But I Have to get an Ida on the true Price of these items . The Lionel Engine and the Marx cars and who sold under the Sears name . OLDGETTYSK

Well there are literally hundreds of Lionel engines out there, and a vague description isn't going to get you any help re pricing. And like I said, Lionel did not sell sets with Louis Marx equipment; their couplers are even different. I had Marx trains as a teenager, and several members of our local club are heavy into Lionel stuff, so I've seen both.

Buy the set with a guarantee that it can be returned if it does not turn out to be as offered. I personally would be suspect because of the two mentioned firms, which were competitors. It could be an honest mistake by someone not knowing what they are offering.

It's sort of saying that you want to buy an old car - how much is it worth? No one could give you an estimate without the car model, make, year, condition, etc. This is what you are asking, way too many unknowns.

Thanks Railphotog for the info. I'm going to yake a chance I'M ONLY going to invest[] under a hundred to buy them so no big cost but may yield big returns . OLDGETTYSK

Well, what was the outcome of this deal? If you give me the cab number of the lionel engine, i can give you value info.

Kyle

Another thing to try is scoping out eBay. I was bidding on a couple of sets of MARX. Mostly because it was a set I had as a kid..When I saw the box on there a light clicked on and I was like,"Hey thats the set I had!"..Didnt remember it till I saw the box...So I bidded and had it untill I went to work and someone took it from me for a dollar more than my top bid of $36.00. It was in a shape of 8 out of 10...box perfect...barely played with. ran perfect...track had no rust...I wanted it!...but I can't watch stuff at work,(ebay is blocked there)..I'd have paid more if I was home...Not that it was worth more but to me it would have been just to have....One thing to look at is: How bad you want it? You can see what things are going for on eBay by watching "Whats about to end"(setting) but what it's worth is one thing...and what someone is willing to pay is another...and finding the guy who wants it...because if they want it bad enough like to finish a collection.."Moneys no object" I sold an old remote control truck on there that I couldnt get to work very well,,came from Sears, I stripped the servos out of it...and it sat here for years...4 wheel drive,,,,4 wheel steering...4 emails came asking if it was this certain model and I said yes..2 guys battled it out ..700 views and a week later it sold for 450 bucks!!.(where else can you do that?)..I asked the guy why he wanted it so bad even tho it wasnt complete..He said it was the first truck that company made and he was just putting it on a shelf to complete his collection...(I didnt know what I had!!) But you can see what I am getting at. If its worth it to you and you can afford it, whats a few bucks? But if your buying to make money...thats when you want to watch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Sprinkles I was only buying it as an investment not into O gauge. But whenI went back the price jumped up another 200 dollars so I wrote it off !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back