Lionel Prewar Set-Up Help

Old Skool

I just bought the train my Dad set up for me under the Christmas tree back in the sixties. I plan to give it to my granddaughter for her kids.
All I have is the train. No track or transformer. What's a good choice for a track (and transformer) in O gauge that's easy to put together and won't require too much maintenance? It's a Lionel 224-E 2-6-2 Locomotive with Tender and 3 Passenger Cars. Thank you.

Attachments

• Lionel 224 E.jpg
    Lionel 224 E.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 207
  • Lionel Train.jpg
    Lionel Train.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 194
I just bought the train my Dad set up for me under the Christmas tree back in the sixties. I plan to give it to my granddaughter for her kids.All I have is the train. No track or transformer. What's a good choice for a track (and transformer) in O gauge that's easy to put together and won't require too much maintenance? It's a Lionel 224-E 2-6-2 Locomotive with Tender and 3 Passenger Cars.
Oh my, there are so many choices. But to match the train and keep it vintage I would look for some of the tubular track. Look for standard O not O-27, examples below. Note the taller "ties" and larger rails, not to mention makes a 31" circle rather than 27".
O-27 yuck
1616124729036.png

O-31 or standard O
1616124654742.png

If you have room for a big circle there is O-54
1616125592824.png

If you want a more modern type of track, I believe the most common these days is the Lionel Fastrack. I don't know much about it.
I do not recommend the Atlas Industrial Rail type. I find it hard to take apart and constantly loose the slim pins.
On the other hand the Atlas Century Track is what I use. It looks more like real track. There are many options (different sizes and shapes). It is more sturdy. There are plastic guides to help the three rails match, but I can't exactly say it is "easy" to put together. And it is expensive.
Then there are other types including but not limited to MTH and Gargraves, but once again I don't know too much about them.
Atlas Century
1616126068458.png

What's a good choice for a track (and transformer)
This Lionel CW-80 seems to be the simple standard these days. It has a bell and whistle buttons that won't work on your train of course, but the older styles that don't have buttons are just that "older styles". You can get these second hand or new.
1616126784923.png

Oh my, there are so many choices. But to match the train and keep it vintage I would look for some of the tubular track. Look for standard O not O-27, examples below. Note the taller "ties" and larger rails, not to mention makes a 31" circle rather than 27".
O-27 yuck View attachment 126038
O-31 or standard O View attachment 126037
If you have room for a big circle there is O-54 View attachment 126039

If you want a more modern type of track, I believe the most common these days is the Lionel Fastrack. I don't know much about it.
I do not recommend the Atlas Industrial Rail type. I find it hard to take apart and constantly loose the slim pins.
On the other hand the Atlas Century Track is what I use. It looks more like real track. There are many options (different sizes and shapes). It is more sturdy. There are plastic guides to help the three rails match, but I can't exactly say it is "easy" to put together. And it is expensive.
Then there are other types including but not limited to MTH and Gargraves, but once again I don't know too much about them.
Atlas Century View attachment 126040
Thank you sir for your time.
Very helpful information.
Appreciate it.

Back