Lionel 4-4-2 Prototype?

i have a Lionel 4-4-2 Wabash engine and i was just wondering what the prototype model was for this. Lionel uses this 4-4-2 design still to this day and I have never really seen a real engine like it

i have a Lionel 4-4-2 Wabash engine and i was just wondering what the prototype model was for this. Lionel uses this 4-4-2 design still to this day and I have never really seen a real engine like it
Probably the only thing prototype about anything Lionel is the RR name on their locos & cars. Does the font even look Wasbash?

You mean this one?
http://www.lionel.com/products/wabash-4-4-2-steam-locomotive-8625-6-28625/

I believe there is no real prototype. Just a basic 4 wheel drive unit that they threw a generic boiler over the top of. All the real Atlantics that I know of have either much larger drive wheels, or the drive wheels are much closer to one another.
http://www.railarchive.net/randomsteam/wab602.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean this one? I believe there is no real prototype. Just a basic 4 wheel drive unit that they threw a generic boiler over the top of. All the real Atlantics that I know of have either much larger drive wheels, or the drive wheels are much closer to one another.

I would agree. Remember these were toys. Prototype modeling wasn't the goal. If anything, it may be loosely based on several prototypes. Ditto the drivers. They were almost uniformly large and close together. Atlantics were designed as high speed passenger locomotives.

Probably the only thing prototype about anything Lionel is the RR name on their locos & cars. Does the font even look Wasbash?

This Lionel (6-11225) looks pretty prototypical to me.
image.php

LIO-6-11225-2.jpg

Went looking through Googles images for this numbered B&O loco. One similar took me to this page http://www.steamlocomotive.com/atlantic/?page=bo, In the discussions about the B&O's Atlantics, the class A-2 (LocoBase6520) had this to say: Drury (1993) and Alvin F Staufer & Lawrence W Sagle, B & O Power (1964). note that these were some of the very few Schenectady engines on the B&O -- these duplicated the Pennsylvania's E-3a.

In the section on the A-3 (LocoBase 1246) it has this to say about the valve gear and firebox: The last B & O Atlantics, these were built with Walschaert gear and 14"-diameter piston valves. The specs helpfully tell us that these were modifications of the A-2 that consisted of "...substituting a radial type of firebox for the Belpaire,

Some clues there perchance?

Looks really good if it was painted for Pennsy. Looks like an E6. I don't believe B&O ever had any Belpaire fire boxed locos. Did they?

Went looking through Googles images for this numbered B&O loco. One similar took me to this page http://www.steamlocomotive.com/atlantic/?page=bo, In the discussions about the B&O's Atlantics, the class A-2 (LocoBase6520) had this to say: Drury (1993) and Alvin F Staufer & Lawrence W Sagle, B & O Power (1964). note that these were some of the very few Schenectady engines on the B&O -- these duplicated the Pennsylvania's E-3a.

In the section on the A-3 (LocoBase 1246) it has this to say about the valve gear and firebox: The last B & O Atlantics, these were built with Walschaert gear and 14"-diameter piston valves. The specs helpfully tell us that these were modifications of the A-2 that consisted of "...substituting a radial type of firebox for the Belpaire,

Some clues there perchance?

Way beyond my pay grade, but interesting stuff to say the least, thank you gentlemen.

All I can say is; it is true O scale, has Legacy controls, sounds, makes smoke and lots of other details.

http://www.lionel.com/products/baltimore-ohio-scale-4-4-2-atlantic-1440-legacy-control-6-11225/

If I had an extra $500 collecting dust and the space for it I would buy one. I would much rather have trains collecting dust rather then cash!

You know what you've just gone and done don't you, NOW I'll have to go and look up Belpaire firebox, so I know what one looks like.
Oh, I'm sorry. The distinguishing feature of a Belpaire is the squareness of it. From the cab, the top of the boiler has a square hump that extends to the end of the fire box. The Pennsy and the Great Northern loved them. Other roads not so much. Just FYI, a Wooten Firebox on the other hand is curved at the top but doesn't taper in with the curve of the boiler. Instead it flares out a bit to be wider than the wheels at the bottom. This is characteristic of most Reading Railroad (who invented it) locos, and some of Western & Maryland's locos. The NP Yellowstones had a Wooten firebox to burn really low grade Rosebud coal.

Thanks for that info IH, wasn't havin' a go, just my compulsion for knowledge. Interesting that the defining feature is at the top of the boiler, not down low where I was looking and wondering how to tell. It is a distinctive shape. Now all we need is for the OP to get back to us and let us know if his model is like this.

Back