Life-Like GP7, worth fixing?

RW&C

N Scale with Stone Tools
Hi all,

I have a Life-Like SD-7 which, when it was intact, ran quite well. It's a bit cheapie (open motor, tubing connecting the motor and the worms) but the detail's pretty nice and, again, smooth runner.

Then one of the wheels (out of gauge) shorted on an Atlas switch (useless), and, while I looked for a loose electrical connection, the wheel heated up and melted the gear it was attached to (and the truck frame) pretty badly.

The truck frame's not really an issue, as the metal pickups on the side support the axles just fine. It's the gear I'm after. Does Life-Like still do parts? Their site's been down since 2005 after Walthers ate them, so I have my doubts.

Annoyingly, the axle gears from my old POS C-liners are perfect, except that they have molded-in plastic axles.

Anyone know where I can find just the gear, or is a Fleabay basketcase my best bet? (And has anyone managed to DCC one of these things?)

In the attached picture, the (good) powered axle's on the left, dummy in the middle, and the busted one (I pulled off the melty bit to see if I could re-use the gear) is on the right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Walthers. if this is a Proto model they may be able to help you. They will do parts, if they have them. There is a ton of stuff from Life Like there, but it is terribly disorganized...stuff thrown into trash bags & boxed up when the stock was transferred. Can't hurt to ask!

Check with Athearn as they use the same part but the Athearn one is of much better quality.

The parts aren't the same. We haven't established that this is a Proto model yet, and the Athearn & LL gears are different.

Different gear geometry
Athearn gear is cast; Proto gear is machined.
One of our club members tried this Athearn/Proto swap and had nothing but trouble with the model. He wound up getting the LL parts. You may be able to drop the in, and they may work for a while, but the aren't the same as the OEM gear.

Alan,you are absolutely right I was thinking of the HO units when I posted.

How about the ATLAS units I know the mech's are different but possibly the wheel axle sets might interchange.

I'm not dead sure (I don't have the original box) but I doubt this is a Proto. I'll get a picture of the mechanism tonight.

I'll give Walthers a call when I get a free moment, always the off chance. :) Thanks!

The parts aren't the same. We haven't established that this is a Proto model yet, and the Athearn & LL gears are different.

Different gear geometry
Athearn gear is cast; Proto gear is machined.
One of our club members tried this Athearn/Proto swap and had nothing but trouble with the model. He wound up getting the LL parts. You may be able to drop the in, and they may work for a while, but the aren't the same as the OEM gear.

Well, another alternative is to replace the entire truck.

Think the Athearns would drop in and function with a Life-Like mechanism?

I finally got a picture of the workings, to prove that this isn't a proto. :)

Back