Liberty Rail? Your thoughts?

chrismoore93

Central Phoenix Railroad
Hi guys,
Well since my benchwork is finally making it's way up I just wanted to get your thoughts on this final concept I had for a railroad. It would be in N Scale and would go by the name of Liberty Rail (LRRX). What it basically is is a railroad similar to Amtrak (hauling passengers and mail, even though Amtrak cut its UPS program.) I would model a engine and car yard and build up and set out trains all across the country. Of course I woudn't be modeling the whole country just this single yard then the trains would travel of to a staging yard where they would be traversing the country. What are your thoughts? Does anyone have an idea for a paint scheme? How should I go about building this yard? I just wanted to get this last thought out there before I started building for sure.
Thanks,
Chris

First problem - the CSX debacle. The brainiacs from the merged roads paid millions for some PR firms to come up with meaningless initials instead of a name. The only problem is that "X" at the end of the reporting mark means a private owner, not a railroad. That's why you see CSX freight cars with CSXT reporting marks. :) Assuming you are running an Amtrak-like operation, you would be also classed as as a railroad by the AAR so you want to get that last "X" out of the reporting mark. Maybe LBR instead.

Will you really be happy just building and breaking down trains in a yard and then running them to and from staging? If so, that's fine, but I would get bored to tears very quickly. It seems like having the trains going from some point on the layout, like one major city to another, and having the staging yard as the second yard and part of the layout would be more fun.

As for a passenger yard, how much space do you have? That really determines what you're able to do. Passenger car yards are similar to freight yards. The main difference is the number of service tracks needed for cleaning, restocking, and storage of cars between runs. Passenger yards are also generally located near the main passenger station to facilitate getting incoming and outgoing trains on their way.

Don't know about a paint scheme. Maybe some kind of stylized American flag theme or working in the Statue of Liberty? I'm not much of an idea guy for that. :)

How should I go about building this yard? I just wanted to get this last thought out there before I started building for sure.
Thanks,
You mean you haven't started yet? Chris I do hope this isn't a runaround like the last time. These members who answer your questions and try to help are serious. If this is another game please take it back to AMR as I assure you if I see your posts going the same way as before, wasting other members time, I'll put an end to it. That's a promise.
If you are serious, and actually plan on building a layout we'll welcome you back and you will be helped as much as possible. For a start please read Space Mouse's guide "A Beginner's guide to Layout Design" http://www.chipengelmann.com/trains/Beginner/BeginnersGuide01.html and realize it is you who has to decide on what you want to do.

Cheers
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim I'm looking at approximately 4'x19'. Thanks for a reminder on the "X" I forgot about that.
Willis I"m very sorry, I meant to say that I am building my benchwork and I have some up but I wanted to make sure what I was doing would come out right. I would like to get this layout decent in one shot.
Thanks,
Chris

OK welcome back Chris, as you can see the forum is mush busier that it was when you were last here. If at this time you are serious and know what it is you want to do that will be fine. Spending several weeks changing your mind on just what kind of layout you want, or what its purpose is is not planning nor will I let it continue because it would be akin to allowing a troll to post. Please read the Mouse's guide to layout design, decide what type of road you want and what purpose the road will have, passenger freight or combination of both, logging, whatever. (HAVE a PLAN) When you have made this decision a plan can be developed and fine tuned for the most enjoyment.
In any case Draw your track plan then post it for critique. Not much sense building bench work if you have no idea of what you'll put on it, is there? Is the 4' by 19' the size of the area you have? Do you have any photos of the bench work. In any case a basic track plan of your proposed layout will be necessary to continue discussion.

Cheers
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Willis thanks for the help. Once again I'm very sorry, I don't want to go back to my ways :D I'll be working on a trackplan and I'll see If I can have it up ASAP.
Thanks,
Chris

Back