LGB Track Question

LarryT

I haven't done much at all with my LGB train for the past 7 years, but now I live on the sunny west coast and I'm thinking of getting into it again - perhaps even with an outdoor layout.

Are there other track brands that are as good or almost as good as LGB? I always used LGB exclusively in the past, but I'm wondering if that is the way to go. Also, has the recent LGB bankruptcy affected price / availability / quality?

I use Aristocraft myself; it has survived, and is in good shape. LGB track is getting quite expensive, if you can find it. Although some people haven't had too much trouble joining the two brands. You can buy a conversion coupler that meets the two perfectly.

Thanks Aytrain!

I have so little LGB track at this point (sold most of it before we moved out west), that it might just make sense to completely switch to another brand.

At today's prices for G-Scale track (nearly $8 a foot in some places) you might be better off keeping everything you have AND adding more. If the track is in good shape, you could at the very least use it for a siding. Most Aristocraft and LGB track pair right up, I think their might only be a small size difference.

Hi Larry T, and Welcome to the forums!

I have a mixture of track brands and haven't noticed any problems mixing and matching. However, being a novice in the hobby with simplicity as my major objective, I opted for battery rather than track power, so track integrity isn't a major issue.

There's an active GR club here in the San Diego area: Check it out at: http://www.sdgrs.com/

Happy Railroading!

Back