Lets talk steamies

Anyhow, I'm hoping someday someone will make a CNR 0-18-b 0-6-0 and a H-6-g 4-6-0. I missed out on the CNR J-4-e 4-6-2 that Division point made.

In the meantime, I have to find time to weather the ones I already have.

Van Hobbies did make a O-18-b. You can find them on e-bay everynow and then.

Steve

Van Hobbies did make a O-18-b. You can find them on e-bay everynow and then.

Steve

Thanks Steve I'll take a look.
I've never owned a Van Hobbies model except for their last release of their wooden CNR caboose. I probably would not have bought it if I knew a few years later that TLT was going to make them.
I'm hoping (probably wishful thinking on my part) that Ajin would make the locos I lack in the future.
My 0-8-0 is a Samhongsa and it runs very well.
Have you ever seen any of the new Division Point Brass models in operation?

Cheers Zoegraf

Last edited by a moderator:
Steam?

First I have a question. Isn't steam all there is? From memory,one 0-8-0 switcher,six 2-8-2 Mikados, three 2-8-4 Berkshires, one 2-10-4 Texas, one 2-6-6-2 Mallet, two 2-6-6-6 Alleghenies, two 4-6-2 Pacific's, one 4-6-4 Hudson, one4-8-2 Mountain, one 4-8-4 Greenbrier. I think that is all of them.
Oh yeah a 3 truck Shay.

100_0274.png

7440ed29.png

100_0270.png

100_0830.png

Just a few sample pictures. Some are temporarily shelved as I am now DCC and some need decoders. But one at a time they get dusted of and put back into service.

Steam engines, Oh MY!!! My layout is dominated by steam engines. Favorites? Gotta be the Berkshires!!!

I also have a fondness for NYC, PRR,C&O, and NKP steam power, the Hudsons, Heavy Miks, the Berkshires, and Pacifics. And the J's and Mallets of the NW. Pennsy power is also found on the layout. And you hafta have a fondness for the 4-4-4-4 T1 Pennsy.

Modeling 6 different roads that passed near my hometown gives me a great benefit of having quite a lot of diversity.

And having steam along with early diesel power, the best of both worlds!!!

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
... And you hafta have a fondness for the 4-4-4-4 T1 Pennsy.

Modeling 6 different roads that passed near my hometown gives me a great benefit of having quite a lot of diversity.

And having steam along with early diesel power, the best of both worlds!!!

Bob

A kindred spirit!!

Cs-loco-color-web.png

I have several steamers from six different roads, but my preference is for the big steamers. I like articulated engines, but I also like the Northerns (4-8-4) and the Texas type 2-10-4, such as the Pennsy J1.

Here are some sample images:

Those are absolutely magnificent images, Selector.

The details are exquisitely rendered. I had a 55 Chevy similar to the one in your pic when I was kid. ;)

Being just a beginner and not even having a layout yet, I do have one little steamer... :)

IMG_3472.jpg

...as a logger...

IMG_3488.png

...a work train...

IMG_3545.png

...and a mining train.

IMG_3558.png

Can't wait to get a board to lay some tracks...

Greg

Thanks for your thumbs-up, Greg. :D HOnestly, I don't know where I'd be in the hobby if it were not for BLI's roster of steamers, including the magnificent Hybrid series of the past couple of years.

-Crandell

Thanks for your thumbs-up, Greg. :D HOnestly, I don't know where I'd be in the hobby if it were not for BLI's roster of steamers, including the magnificent Hybrid series of the past couple of years.

-Crandell

Crandell your lay-out and steamer roster is incredible. Like I said before I feel like I'm in a time machine due to how real it looks and I know the feel must be there as well

Crandell, I have a few BLI steamers. Maybe 8. Most of my roster consists of the Rivarossi Red Box engines mixed with a few older AHM/Rivarossi's, many early "modernized" Bowser and Mantua kits, Quite a few brass engines that I have purchased as distressed and needed nothing more than a cleaning and lube. The roster total is somewhere around 50-60 steam engine that run the layout.

I also collect the. Many are shelf queens.

If I were time warped to have a bit less seniority in the hobby, I would probably have more BLI engines. At this point in my life, I really don't need more. BLI, next to brass examples, is probably the most detailed on the market. But, my Red Box Rivarossi's are among my favorites.

Bob

Bob, unlike yourself, I am short in the hobby...five years and counting. I have many nice steamers (many being relative to five years in the hobby :p), and I would have to admit that, as much as I love my tiny P2K Heritage 0-6-0 jewel, and all my BLI engines, and a Trix Mikado, the most detailed engine I own is the latest version of Rivarossi's H-8 Allegheny. I am gob-smacked at how detailed it is.

Oh, heck, a wee photo will help, right... :D

IMG_6347csharadjr.png

Selector, all of my engines are pretty nice. I've been fortunate to get many second hand that are very well detailed. And the brass engines, well, they are in a class by themselves and not even BLI engines come close.

That engine from India looks more like it came from an exploding paint factory.

Bob

Here's a pic of my newest acquisition...A B'mann 2-8-4..What a beast...Must weigh a couple of pounds.....And it runs great !! (after a D'trax decoder replaced the original...).

DSCF2367.jpg

N Scale 1900 layout so all are steam. :D

Bachmann 4-4-0 five in fleet, not DCC yet, so sit on turntable (or go to our store and run on the window display unit.

Atlas 2-6-0 not DCC yet, so sit on turntable (or go to our store and run on the window display unit.

Model Power 4-4-0 three, DCC decoder installed, needed regauging, but works great now.

Model Power 2-6-0 two, DCC decoder installed, needed regauging, but works great now.

Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0, DCC decoder installed, possbibly the best runner.

Nothing but steam for me. Mostly UP late steam like 844, Challenger and Big Boys. Plus I model The Alton Railroad and the Alton Limited which used 4-6-2 steamers. All my UP stuff is Genesis while the Alton stuff is IHC.

The nice part about using UP 844 and 3985 is that you can drive them with freight cars from the late 1980's and still be okay.

Rivarossi 4-4-0. not really my era but i couldn't walk by when i seen it. probably going to be pulling exotic excursion train. needs replacement chimney and headlight. the tender is taken apart at the moment - being re-motored. going to install DCC quickplug (getting the old DH121 decoder) so its not solely static model. while i'm there , I fitted appropriate KD coupler

CIMG1404-vi.jpg

Back