Lets talk steamies

LATX

Ok this one is for littlefoot14. What kind of steam locomotives is on your fleet? Personally I do not owne a steam train beisdes my daughter's Harry poter's train but the train club im joining do operate a steam night. So I would like to know what steam train dominates or is pefered on your lay-out or personal favorite.

I have 5 steam locos on my roster so far. I am still in the process of painting and detailing them. They are the Grand Canyon #'s 18, 20, 29 and 4960 and the Crossett Western #10.

I,ve only got one steam loco on my layout, that belongs to me, its a Pennsylvania K4 #3750, but I do hope to get #1361 eventually. I also have two other steam locos that my friend has let me borrow, a Pennsylvania T1 4-4-4-4,and a Norfolk and Western J1 4-8-4
Ron

I have several steamers from six different roads, but my preference is for the big steamers. I like articulated engines, but I also like the Northerns (4-8-4) and the Texas type 2-10-4, such as the Pennsy J1.

Here are some sample images:

IMG_5174csharadj2.png

IMG_6308csharadj.png

IMG_5493grey1.png

C-train-w-smoke.png

Cs-long-engine-2nd-try.png

IMG_5893csharadjr.png

IMG_7275csharadjres.png

I have two UP 0-6-0 switch engines, one UP 0-8-0 switch engine, one UP 4-8-4 Northern in Greyhound paint scheme, one Santa Fe 2-10-4, and a Union Pacific Big Boy 4-8-8-4.
Now, before anybody says the UP never had any 0-8-0 switch engines, yes they did. They had a total of one. It was number 4500. And they had that one, quite literally, by accident. It had originally been a 2-8-0 Consolidation. The engine was involved in an accident, and its front pilot was destroyed. UP decided that fixing the pilot was more money than the engine was worth, but they didn't want to scrap it completely. So they removed the front pilot and made it an 0-8-0 switch engine.
And now you know......... the rest of the story.

How about some narrow gauge steam. Nice old PFM/United brass mogul, ready for work on my new layout I am building, Now sporting a 7 pole Maxon coreless motor instead of the original KTM open frame. Cheers Mike

123.png

124.png

Next up is a FED Spartan series Porter 2-6-0 thats for sale.
125.png

126.png

Selector, I love your layout and engines, especially the N&W ones :D

I've got 2 J 4-8-4s, 2 Y6b 2-8-8-2s, and a little Alco 0-4-0

Ok this one is for littlefoot14. What kind of steam locomotives is on your fleet? ...

lol i dont model steam sir. I actually thought of Crandell and Selector when i saw your other thread, mostly because ive always been so impressed with their work.

I have a whopping one steam engine, a 0-4-0 that is in peices, kindve a kitbash, im actually trying to build a cog railway locomotive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my HO Steam Stable. I have also added two J1e's since this photo. All will be slightly weathered (some day:eek:) and all have sound. Which one is my favorite? Well, I treat and love all my children equally :D.

Left to right:
Challenger, UP -------------Lionel
Class A , N&W ------------BLI
Y6b, N&W-------------PCM
Y6b, N&W-------------PCM
4-8-2, SOU--------------Bachmann
2-8-0, SOU--------------Bachmann
Shay, IP Lumber------Bachmann
J1e (not in photo), BC&W----BLI
J1e (not in photo), BC&W --- BLI

My 2-8-2 mikado.....
picture.php

My 300 hp. 1915, 100 ton box cab.....
picture.php

My 600 hp. 1915, 100 ton Box cab....
picture.php

My 300 hp.Doodle bug...
picture.php

I don't have a pic of my lil joe 0-6-0T, which will one day receive a box cab when I get a chance.

I know the Box cabs arn't steamers but they are a rarely modeled locomotive and roamed around during the steam era!

I have several steamers from six different roads, but my preference is for the big steamers. I like articulated engines, but I also like the Northerns (4-8-4) and the Texas type 2-10-4, such as the Pennsy J1.

Here are some sample images:

IMG_5174csharadj2.png

IMG_6308csharadj.png

IMG_5493grey1.png

C-train-w-smoke.png

Cs-long-engine-2nd-try.png

IMG_5893csharadjr.png

IMG_7275csharadjres.png

Wow that's is real beauty honsetly it look so real its like I went thru a time machine real nice work

lol i dont model steam sir. I actually thought of Crandell and Selector when i saw your other thread, mostly because ive always been so impressed with their work.

I have a whopping one steam engine, a 0-4-0 that is in peices, kindve a kitbash, im actually trying to build a cog railway locomotive.

I see why you like selector's work it's very impresive

My steam fleet as of today and most of these are brass and picked up over the last 30 years.

2 - Frisco 4-8-4
1 - Frisco 4-4-0
1 - Frisco 2-8-0
5 - CN 0-8-0 (that will be GTW when painted)
1 - CN 2-8-0
2 - GTW 4-6-2
4 - GTW 2-8-2
5 - GTW 4-8-4
1 - GTW 4-8-2

I think I have a few more in the closet that I have not seen in a while.

No layout, no photos, most of them unpainted but I have a few being painted as I type. They just hang out in a display case until I stop moving every few years and I reach my last house.

Thank, fellas. It means a lot. I have fun, and if it helps to keep you keen as well, I am twice blessed. :)

-Crandell

Crandell, I agree with others: your work is impressive and the scenery brings the Steam Locomotives to life. Very Nice!

Ok this one is for littlefoot14. What kind of steam locomotives is on your fleet? Personally I do not owne a steam train beisdes my daughter's Harry poter's train but the train club im joining do operate a steam night. So I would like to know what steam train dominates or is pefered on your lay-out or personal favorite.

The steam train that dominates on my branchline layout is the CNR N4a 2-8-0, which is appropriate for my location and era and is my personal favourite because it runs perfect as in smooooth and can crawl real nice and slow. Nicest brass piece I have ever owned and have never seen a brass loco run smoother or quieter.

I used to have a switching layout and the CNR P-5h 0-8-0 dominated that layout. A fine working and smooth crawling loco that is a little noisy, but tolerable. I do run it occasionally just for fun, which brings up the question: Did switchers ever do work outside of the yard?

By now you can see that I got a thing for smooth crawling locos.

The CNR S1b 2-8-2 makes the occasional visit on my layout. It runs very well and smooth and can haul a long train and sometimes some passenger cars. It runs just as well as the 2-8-0, but just can't quite crawl as slow as the 2-8-0 for some reason. Mind you I'm told by my fellow model railroaders that the crawling I like isn't all that realistic.

Anyhow, I'm hoping someday someone will make a CNR 0-18-b 0-6-0 and a H-6-g 4-6-0. I missed out on the CNR J-4-e 4-6-2 that Division point made.

In the meantime, I have to find time to weather the ones I already have.

Continued

The CNR Mikado 2-8-2.

Back