Lets see your tunnel portals

adurbin

Hello all,

I just finished constructing the mountain terrain on my layout, just looking to see what looks best in the way of tunnel portals. Thanks!!

june_07.jpg

I just started my mountain tunnel as well.

What kind of paint and what color do you guys use for the mountains?

You've got some great looking shots guys and some of the scenery is execptional.

DJ/Grampy thats really a great shot of your Deisels and the timber tunnel portal, reminds me of the one I scratch built but I'm a long way from having scenery or a hill to set it into. Your scenery looks great!

Crandel, that sure looks, for all the world, like real snow on and around your stacked stone tunnel portal, Is that baking soda or a snow product of one type?

Really great work!!

Great Shots everyone
Crandell that snow scene is something I've always wanted to do but never had the room for it.

here's mine, scratchbuilt from some thin plywood and basswood strip.
TunnelportalFA-2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Aaron. It was a bought one, can't remember who makes it, but it was a double that I had to widen. It's one of the foam ones. DJ.

Ask and thou shall recieve...

The Seneca lake, Ontario, & Western RR has quite a few.

YardLeadTunnel1w.png

YardGrowth05w.png

Bridge2Nowhere05w.png

TichyFlat13w.png

And on old wooden one that has been abandoned and boarded up.

AbandonedTunnel01w-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The abandoned trackage on your layout adds alot of intrest, Ray. Was it original track that you pulled up or was it planned that way from the start?

David and Glen, thank-you!

Ray, I love your modelling.

David, the snow is Woodland Scenics "Snow" in their shaker plastic bottle. Easy to sprinkle, and easy to vacuum up when you no longer wish it to be present.

-Crandell

The abandoned trackage on your layout adds alot of intrest, Ray. Was it original track that you pulled up or was it planned that way from the start?

Thank you Glen! It was actually a location where I originally had hand laid code 70 track. It was also a place where i had put in an "S" curve which produced a lot of problems. When I redid my yard, and lengthened the peninsula, I decided to relocate the tunnel. You can see I left the portal in place and boarded it up. Someone on line (not sure of whether it was here or not) had a thread about modeling abandoned trackage..... The lightbulb went on, and I left the old ties and some rail in place. The story is that the old tunnel suffered a cave-in just inside the entrance and it was decided to drill a new tunnel near by. It was too dangerous for crews to be able to remove the rail going into the abandoned tunnel............:rolleyes::D

Back