Let's go bowling! Vintage Brunswick Video

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jazzdad posted a video about Revell kits, and for some reason the film style reminded me of this one.

Brunswick: The Golden Years

This is promo video by Brunswick. My home town had one of these setups. The whole deal, right down to the ball returns, scoring tables (with built in ash trays), chairs, tables, ball racks, lockers, and even the matching ball washer. Somebody watched this video and said 'Give me one of those in blue and orange, 36 lanes, all of it, every option you have!" When you say "Bowing Alley", this is exactly what I think of. Every last detail.

The funny thing is that even as a kid in the 1960's the place had a dated retro feel to it. Since this was from 1958, it couldn't have been more than about 10 years old at the time. But the whole thing had that 1950's futuristic look that somehow both seemed new and modern, yet old and dated at the same time.

Fun to watch though, reminds me of many hours spent there as a kid. My grandfather played in leagues there, and even bowled a 300 a time or two. Boy was he proud of that!

Last edited:
Found a photo of it on Google.

1585077671786.png

We had one of those bowling alley's in the basement of the new, modern shopping mall in a close by city. Early 60's, but I still remember the crown emblem at the end of the lanes, and those space-age bench seats. Great times at that place.

When I was a kid in the mid 60's we spent two days a week at a nearby small town bowling alley that had a grand total of 6 lanes! My parents bowled in leagues back then and us kids usually got (had) to go as well, until we were old enough to stay home by ourselves.

Bob, you hit the nail on the head with your description of that bowling alley! That was EXACTLY how I felt about the one we went to! Kind of a new post Art Deco modern style that just missed being stylish or modern in its looks.

All these years later, what I wouldn't do or give, to be able to go back and relive those times again!

Here is the National Bowling Stadium in Reno, NV. We try to get down there each year for the national tournaments. 80 lanes.

071.JPG

Reno 3.jpg

Right now nothing is open. Our little 18 lane house is shut down for our Friday night league and we have no idea when we'll be able to continue.

Back