Let's get LOADED!!!.....

Haven't seen any at my wally world or Target either. Both places seem to be carrying less and less vehicles, even Matchbox.

everywhere seems to be carrying less and less of the stuff we all want like when i was say 12 they discontinued the barbeque sauce i had grown up on. and i cant get my favorite flavor of gaterade anymore

I noticed my last response looks like I come off the wrong way. Didnt mean it to sound like that.:)

Haven't seen any at my wally world or Target either. Both places seem to be carrying less and less vehicles, even Matchbox.

I think they are part of the $1 line. So it may take a few tries for that reason alone. There isnt much of a big selection of these cars so it may take a few tries. However, these perticular models arent on the high value list so eventually you should be able to find some. I however, havent actually gone out and started looking for any yet so im not sure what I will come up with either. The collectors dont care for these type of cars because its just a forklift and not a Camaro or Hot Rod of some type.

Been working on these all day. Staying in my train workshop in Air conditioning. Tooo hot in the train room. Was 95* by 11am.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another Redneck flat. This time I painted the tank flat black.

Finished up 4 more today. ran out of flat cars & engine frames. Now, I gotta start working on the layout again.:D

Loaded up my little wood gondola with logging tools... :)

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

Tooter, cute little train there. Are you planning an electric logging line?

Larry, I like those redneck flats. :) What did you use for the load on that pulpwood flat?

Electric logging line? Sounds like a recipe for failure! *cuts down tree* TIMBER!!! *falling tree takes down catenary*

Electric logging line? Sounds like a recipe for failure! *cuts down tree* TIMBER!!! *falling tree takes down catenary*

Jeez... what kind of idiot fells a tree right across a railroad right of way when it could derail or hit a train?:rolleyes:

While not used directly at logging sites, electric locomotives were actually used to transport timber.

Red River Lumber Company July 3 1942...

RRLC204.JPG

This is an article that appeared in the October 1927 issue of "The Timberman" which was a western lumber trade publication of the era:

THE WEST’S FIRST ELECTRIC LOGGING RAILROAD

Public interest in steam railroad electrification in recent years has centered upon the spectacular electrification so successfully accomplished by a number of the trunk line railroads. Of equal significance, but of less prominence, has been the electrification carried on by many of the short line railroads. Unique among the latter is the electrification of the logging railroad of The Red River Lumber Co.

The center of operations of this company is at Westwood, in northeastern California. Over 25, 000 loaded cars of logs are transported each season to the mill at Westwood from Chester over 17 miles of standard gauge road. In addition to the main line there are also four passing tracks, totaling approximately 6000 feet in length. The electrification program of this company included the passing tracks in addition to the main line.

A most comprehensive analysis of the many factor involved was made before this electrification was adopted. The basic aim of the entire study was the production of lumber with the minimum cost of operation. The merits and limitations of the several possible systems of electrification applicable to this property were analyzed and compared with steam operation.

It is expected that the changeover of this road from steam to electric operation will be completed this fall. The principal electrical equipment involved consists of two 60-ton 1500-volt standard Baldwin-Westinghouse locomotives and a two-unit 1000 KW 1500-volt automatic substation.

Trains of loaded cars are to be made up and delivered to the electrified main line by steam and diesel-electric locomotives. As an overhead system would interfere with the switching of logging equipment and the like, mounted on flat cars, steam or diesel-electric locomotives will also handle the trains from the transfer at the Westwood end of the electrification. Empty cars to be returned to the woods will be handled in a similar manner.

The main line of the railroad is laid with 80 pound rails, is rock ballasted and in excellent condition. Speeds of 30 to 34 miles per hour are attained except on sharp curves. Numerous grades and curves are encountered, the maximum grade being 2.3 percent, with more than four miles of 1.85 percent compensated grade against load. The maximum curvature encountered is 10 degrees. A condensed profile of the line is shown herewith. The electrical equipment is designed to deliver 160 loaded cars to Westwood in 2 working shifts of approximately 10 1/2 hours each, allowing 20 minutes at the end of each one way trip for dropping one train and coupling to another. The skeleton cars operated on the line are standard railroad equipment for logging service and which approximate 27,000 pounds without load. The cars are loaded with from 7,500 to 8,000 feet of logs, and average 90,000 pounds gross.

It has been the practice in the past to keep the main line in operation only nine months of the year, operations being suspended during the three months winter period. The mill, however, was kept in operation as usual during this period by accumulating a winter’s supply of logs at Westwood. A new plan has been inaugurated which calls for decking the winter’s supply of logs at Chester and keeping the main line in operation to supply the mill with logs throughout the entire year.

The decision to deck the winter’s supply of logs at Chester, rather than at Westwood, was reached for the following reasons:

1. During decking season as high as 190 cars per day are hauled and thus decking at Chester it will not be necessary to handle this peak to Westwood.
2. A car shortage, which is normally experienced during the decking season will be material alleviated by the elimination of the roundtrip from Chester to Westwood on 400,000 feet per day that is decked.
3. By storing logs at Chester it will be possible to haul all of the winter’s supply, for the season of 1927, on the electrified road.
4. The presence of work trains on the main line between Chester and Westwood seriously interferes with hauling operations and a great deal of congestion can be overcome by decking at Chester.
The only apparent disadvantage in decking at Chester is that it will be necessary to keep the main line open during the winter period. However, it is not contemplated that this will involve serious difficulties.

The Red River Lumber Co. owns steam and hydro-electric power rights with a total capacity of approximately 16,000 KVA. However, power is leased to the Pacific Gas & Electric Co. and the agreement with them limits the amount of power that may be allocated to the requirements of the railroad to 1500 KW, that is, there is this much power available in excess of the present total demand. No expansion of the present mill capacity is contemplated. Therefore, the yearly cost of power for the electrification has been calculated as an extra expense of only $1,000.

The company’s three phase, 60 cycle, 33,000 volt power line passes the railroad at Almanor Junction, shown on the condensed profile. A 33 KV branch line has been run from this point to the single substation at the load center of the electrification. The transmission line is carried on the same poles as carry the trolley and feeder wires, every other pole being 10 feet higher to accommodate the 33 KV line.

LOCOMOTIVES

The two electric locomotives are of the steeple cap type and have a weight of 60 tons each, on four driving axles. Each locomotive is equipped with four type 582 FD5 railway motors rated at 200 H. P. each, with forced ventilation. The motors are arranged for field control and are direct geared and axle mounted. Although each locomotive is a complete unit in every detail, the cabs are arranged for multiple unit operation, by means of sockets and jumpers for connecting together their control circuits as well as to provide a power bus between the two units. Hence the two cabs may be coupled and operated as a single locomotive with but one engineer. If desired either locomotive may be operated separately, in which case half tonnage may be hauled. Operation of the slider trolleys of both units may be controlled from either cab.

The two cabs working in multiple will bring 20 loaded cars of logs over the 17 miles of the electrification in approximately 75 minutes, which gives a schedule speed of 14.25 miles per hour for the entire distance. The return trip can be made with as many empty cars as desired, in approximately 40 minutes.

That picture was taken a few months beore the wires came down. The Red River was one of the first railroads to dieselize, using early GE boxcabs. Even with a considerable subsidy from PG&E to use electric engines to highlight the potential for other railroads, the line found that maintenance costs were just too high in the rugged climate of the Shasta Mountains.

Larry, I like those redneck flats. :) What did you use for the load on that pulpwood flat?[/QUOTE]

Jim, I used branches off of a Maple Tree cut up w/side cutters.:D

Tooter, cute little train there. Are you planning an electric logging line?

If anything I do ends up being prototypical, it'll only be purely by accident. :D I'm assembling a Grandtline Powered 23 Ton Box Cab loco to pull the little cars...

boxcab1.jpg

Greg

Back