Let's get LOADED!!!.....

Since I took the plunge over on Slugs and Bugs I figured I would put my two cents in here. This is a flatcar based on info I got from Tom Daspit's site http://www.garlic.com/~tomd/. If you are into BIG flats and Schnabel cars this is the place. I based this loosely on a GE car, I don't recall the number. The A & B ends are cut down Athearn Heavy Duty Flats. The rest is sheet plastic. This was about a three evening project as I had partially dismantled my layout at that time. The load is a 1/24th scale transformer with a Lionel can glued to the bottom. It runs very well but you can't have much along the right away as it tends to act like a lawn mower......Rich

And this is also based loosely on a GE car on Tom's site. I cut length wise two Athearn Heavy Duty flats (Do ya see a pattern here?) and built the contol house and the hydraulic house out of parts from the junk box. I had this unit at a train show on a modular layout and a lady asked me awhat the load was. I calmly replied that it was a Hexagonal Reclamation Valve used by the Bovine Methane Recycling industry. Once she digested that she wrote it down so she could explain to her husband what it was. Needless to say I don't seem to get invited back by the club anymore.......Rich

This is a Schnabel car I built back before you could buy the resin ones, which by the way are fantastic. Once again I used two of the Heavy Duty flats, I must of had 20 of them at one point, two Walthers Depressed Center Flats and the remainder is sheet plastic. It runs well and is a blast to thread through on a layout....Rich

I love Schnabel cars & have always wanted to make one. I have quite a few pics on my PC of prototype's. I have read the web site where they sell the shells & loads & U supply the couplers. I have also looked into the ready to runs. The cost for me is out of my reach. $167.00 & $250.00.
I have enough heavy duty trucks made out of peuter to build what I want, but, not enough time. Maybe before the end of the year I will start on something.
I'm really enjoying all of the photo's of Loads. Gives me a lot of idea's for the rest of mine. I probably have enough Horn Hook couplers to fill 2 more gondolas & some old metal couplers to fill another one.
About a year ago I visited a layout & he had the twisted lathe shavings in about 10 of his gondola's in different sizes. Some rusted & some not.

Larry

Heres a load of coil steel
100_0978_edited.jpg

And heres a load of coil steel wire.
100_0979_edited.jpg

The steel coils is Athearn so they are plastic.The steel coil wire is a hard resin casting and its tough to cut even with a Dremel tool..:(
Next time I will use a hack saw since I don't have a band saw.

Buy one or two?? I am trying to convince the Finance Committee (Wife) that I should have at least 5 or 6, sort of a herd.........

Buy one or two?? I am trying to convince the Finance Committee (Wife) that I should have at least 5 or 6, sort of a herd.........
Well, I figure, one Big one, and one smaller one, not Like I'd run them day in and day out.

I won 12 more rolling stock from e-bay over the week end dirt cheap!
All for 37 bucks...not bad kadees and metal wheels too! I will post those with my new loads as soon as I get them this week!

I got loaded this week & here is what I came up with;

Last edited by a moderator:
Then after I stopped & looked at what I did, I got loaded again.:)

Pretty good there Larry!
I like the steamer one, the pipe load and the red ICG w/lumber load. Very nice!

Another short sip & I will be done for the day.:eek:

Back