LENZ DCC COMMAND/POWER STATION PROBLEM

lyctus

Some 15 years ago I purchased a Lenz100 set and after setting up a small test track ran it for a short time and had to pack it away due to a relocation.
I now have the opportunity to use the DCC set on my much anticipated layout.
Unfortunately when I connect the LZV100Command/Power Station to a 16v 5amp power supply, the same used before on test, the LZV100 now just flashes the LED in slow mode.
I have checked my first section of the layout with a multimeter to ensure no short circuit and I have disconnected the connection to the bus wires, but still a slow flashing LED.
I removed the front panel off the LZV100 for a visual inspection and all looks normal,but do I see a large diameter button battery on the top pcb (the pcb I didn't slide out) and could that be flat and maybe creating the problem ? If that is so, is this something I can access and replace ?
Otherwise, what do I do to recommission my long mothballed LZV100 please?
Any help will be appreciated,thank you

Hi. Do you have the manual for the LZV ?

According to the Lenz manual it could be one of the following

The signal is not present on the C/D control bus lines
Over-current detected (Eline is active)

There may be a short or overload on the layout. Once the short is corrected press the emergency stop key on your handheld to restart the system.
If no short is found and this happens repeatedly then you need to divide the layout into several power districts and power each district with
additional power stations/transformers.

The input voltage is too low most often because the load exceeded the capability of the transformer.
A higher amperage transformer is needed to drive the desired load.

System is in service mode
Finish programming the decoders. When service mode is exited the system will resume normal operation.

Silly question, Have you got the handset plugged into the LZV ?
Are there any error messages on the handset ?

Update. Just found out some more info.
If your handset shows error code 97 then there may be a problem with your power supply voltage as above or the battery may be flat.
Here is a link to a UK supplier of the battery for reference but you should be able to source one where you are located.

Hope this helps

Thanks Hunslet. Yes, I have studied the manual and also disconnected wires and plugged in the controller and disconnected...checked my power supply with a multimeter which shows 16.4vac off a 6 amp stepdown transformer. Still the LED flashes.... I think your advice regarding the battery is worth trying....I haven't removed the pcb from the command controller but I will now that you have suggested. I note that the offering from DCC Supplies (your link) shows 'out of stock' . I can remove the battery and probably locate the battery locally. Funny it is stated ( and observation confirms) that it is a '3 leg battery holder' - that's a bit unusual...a battery can only have a +ve and a -ve - so why 3 legs ? Maybe just formechanical stability on the PCB.
Thanks again for your valued input

Oh, by the way...the message that comes up on the hand held controller is AUS - there is no reference to that code in the manual. I am mystified !
But.... I can use C1 and bring up an L3 but it does not communicate with the decoder.

Darn ! Just removed the PCB from the Command unit and exposed the button cell and I noted that it is spot welded to the 3 leg support, so removal - almost impossible.......that out of stock item from DCC Supplies would be necessary...but - the battery is holding 3v the rated voltage of CR2450...and the unit has been stored for about 15 years !!
So, what does AUS code mean on the hand controller ?
The mystery continues.........

Darn ! Just removed the PCB from the Command unit and exposed the button cell and I noted that it is spot welded to the 3 leg support, so removal - almost impossible.......that out of stock item from DCC Supplies would be necessary...but - the battery is holding 3v the rated voltage of CR2450...and the unit has been stored for about 15 years !!
So, what does AUS code mean on the hand controller ?
The mystery continues.........
AUS is the code for the country (Australia) it was intended for use.

Sorry ! Purchased from Tony's Train Exchange by mailorder - I too thought maybe that, but no, I don't think so, and whilst I can't remember this code in the initial testing 15 years ago, I would have been very surprised, but I do live in Australia ! How would it know where it is ? I don't think but it is mysterious ! Does USA show on a US based LENZ system ?

From what I can find out AUS means that power is disconnected to the track. It is German language (AUSgang - Exit ) so the unit has reverted to German. If set to English it will say "Stop"
So something is causing the unit to stay in Stop mode.
The battery will be soldered to the PCB by the 3 legs and will need to be un-soldered from the back of the board.
Colin.

Thanks Colin. (and BNSF971)
The battery seems to be in good order...showing 3v on my multimeter....I think getting the genuine LENZ part couldprove challenging, and the battery is spot welded to the 3 leg PCB mount. Could unsolder, but separating the common battery from the legs would be v. difficult. But I don't think the battery is the problem.
The German language AUS - Stop in English, thats interesting...............
I'll keep on trying....

The legs of the battery should be un-soldered from the PCB and the battery can be lifted off the PCB complete with legs and then the new battery legs inserted into the holes and re-soldered. You will probably need a solder sucker or solder wick to clean the old solder out of the holes. Do not drill to clean out the holes as this may destroy through hole plating and make re-soldering difficult or cut through-board connections.
I just checked the German Lenz manual and "AUS" does mean that track power is disconnected ( Stop mode) so your unit is in German language mode.
Try a full reset as per the manual and then set the Language to English and try again.
Colin.

Back