Legos anyone?

TLOC

When my youngest, now 35 stopped playing with his Legos at about 12 years old the seemingly thousands of pieces went into a bin. Sat there for years. Sometime after the Legos were in the bin retirement home I read somewhere that a modeler was using Legos to square up his scratch built structures. I was in the midst of a building project and one issue I have always have had is square tight corners. So into the bin I went and dug out some pieces.

It didn’t take many to build up some useable 1/2 squares.

81B7D66D-226D-4989-9391-7CB6309CB4D6.jpeg

The 3 sets above are glued together as my permanent sets. I have another 100 or so pieces that I can add height or length to the above. When I build I use 2 for squaring the corner (1 inside, 1 outside) and run spots of glue to tack the corner.

The brown blocks below are not the Legos name brand pieces. They work the same as Legos but the fit is not as good but they work. 48 pieces in a pack from the Dollar Tree.
7725FCA3-420C-47B4-B98A-93E8BC5C2791.jpeg

They do work well for me. Does anyone have any personal experience?
BE599122-5236-4A44-B7EC-5F0EC7D88E42.jpeg

TomO

Last edited:
I do, as well. And use them with rare earth magnets, to hold them in place so they can't move. When I assemble a section I place it on a 14" pizza pan, with magnets on each side of the legos. There is a similar item sold at MicroMark, but a little rich for my wallet. The rare earth magnets, rectangular, I found at Walmart. I, also have round ones, but don't know where I got them. Since it was quite a few years ago, I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't very much and they will last a lifetime. The pizza pan I got at the dollar store. The legos make it very easy to assemble walls and keep them square. Good luck, Glenn

Oops, I forgot to mention that the rare earth magnets can be lethal 😁. Learn quickly, to respect them, or you will have tiny blood clots on the tips of your finger.

Last edited:
I do, as well. And use them with rare earth magnets, to hold them in place so they can't move. When I assemble a section I place it on a 14" pizza pan, with magnets on each side of the legos. There is a similar item sold at MicroMark, but a little rich for my wallet. The rare earth magnets, rectangular, I found at Walmart. I, also have round ones, but don't know where I got them. Since it was quite a few years ago, I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't very much and they will last a lifetime. The pizza pan I got at the dollar store. The legos make it very easy to assemble walls and keep them square. Good luck, Glenn

Oops, I forgot to mention that the rare earth magnets can be lethal 😁. Learn quickly, to respect them, or you will have tiny blood clots on the tips of your finger
Glenn

I use the magnets pictured below on all my building flats around the layout. Glue to the wall, glue metal shim to the back of the building

thanks for sharing

TomO
216CF469-9BA8-447A-B203-B8D567B7E46C.jpeg

I was watching one of those discovery type channels and the Lego factory was on, and was amazed at the things people have built with these, also how many Lego blocks and accessories have been made. It was astounding how many. I can see many things being made from these, I can see a really good retaining wall, or other warehouse type buildings. I never even thought about using Lego blocks.

I was watching one of those discovery type channels and the Lego factory was on, and was amazed at the things people have built with these, also how many Lego blocks and accessories have been made. It was astounding how many. I can see many things being made from these, I can see a really good retaining wall, or other warehouse type buildings. I never even thought about using Lego blocks.
Tom

I have seen legos on layouts but mainly on the Lione/3-rail Oscale. As far as I am concerned anything goes to build. I have never measured the Lego blocks to see what’s scale they would be. t Trainfest in milwaukee except for Covid years I have seen the Lago trains. While not my cup of tea, those folks are as talented or not as any scale modelers may be.

TomO

Tom

I have seen legos on layouts but mainly on the Lione/3-rail Oscale. As far as I am concerned anything goes to build. I have never measured the Lego blocks to see what’s scale they would be. t Trainfest in milwaukee except for Covid years I have seen the Lago trains. While not my cup of tea, those folks are as talented or not as any scale modelers ma

Tom

I have seen legos on layouts but mainly on the Lione/3-rail Oscale. As far as I am concerned anything goes to build. I have never measured the Lego blocks to see what’s scale they would be. t Trainfest in milwaukee except for Covid years I have seen the Lago trains. While not my cup of tea, those folks are as talented or not as any scale modelers may be.

TomO
Yep

i have used some Legos as you pictured in your first post without gluing them together.
At the risk of hijacking this thread, there's a train museum in Gulfport Mississippi with several Lego layouts along with many other scales also.
09-27-19 trip 030.JPG

09-27-19 trip 031.JPG

09-27-19 trip 032.JPG

09-27-19 trip 034.JPG
09-27-19 trip 033.JPG

This is from a trip in 2019, I have more from another trip earlier but cannot locate them right now.

i have used some Legos as you pictured in your first post without gluing them together.
At the risk of hijacking this thread, there's a train museum in Gulfport Mississippi with several Lego layouts along with many other scales also.
View attachment 136945
View attachment 136946
View attachment 136947
View attachment 136943View attachment 136948
This is from a trip in 2019, I have more from another trip earlier but cannot locate them right now.
Willie, no worries about hi-jacking the thread. I come from a forum that I think hi-Jack a thread is it’s middle name.

Gulfport! Alright Terry has a few friends that live there (retired educators). I will put this on the list of things to do if Covid ever retires! I have seen some great train builds with Legos. Really the only irratating thing to me about the Legos trains is the green mat that is considered the ground cover.

TomO

My nephew always wants Legos for Christmas. You would think that would make it easy to buy for him. But, I don't ever know what sets he already has. I don't want to buy duplicates. Thing is, I have the same trouble buying gifts for his wife and son, who are also into Legos.

My nephew always wants Legos for Christmas. You would think that would make it easy to buy for him. But, I don't ever know what sets he already has. I don't want to buy duplicates. Thing is, I have the same trouble buying gifts for his wife and son, who are also into Legos.
I don't know if Legos has gift cards, but if not, they might take other cards, or you could give his folks some bank cards and they can buy the desired kits. My granddaughter built me an International Space Station for my last birthday!

Just go to the NAPMltd.com page and look the station a fellow constructed out of Lego's for their layout. Great work.

Greg

Back