LEDs, LEDs, LEDs, every where

natfoot

Catchy title,
Ok so I am starting on a major lighting project for the layout. I am going to be trying to use as many LEDs as Possible. I will be working on creating some night lighting as well as structural lighting. I noticed in the post “Loco Lighting Concerns" that there is a link to a 3mm yellow/white LEDs that I will use for housing lights. I am also looking at using Cree Blue Xlamps tm for full moon lighting for the layout.

I was just wondering if there are any pointers for LEDs before I start this project to a more full extent. If any one has used the Cree LEDs before for lighting please post about them. The white Xlamps from cree are super bright and I have thought about using some for lights on one of my engines.

I'm like Josh, I wouldn't think LED's had enough omni-directional lighting that an incandescent would have inside a building. An LED's light is softer and I wouldn't think that you would be able to see it very well with your layout room lights on. Please expand if you have more thoughts as to why LED's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm like Josh, I wouldn't think LED's had enough omni-directional lighting that an incandescent would have inside a building. An LED's light is softer and I wouldn't think that you would be able to see it very well with your layout room lights on. Please expand if you have more thoughts as to why LED's.

well my first thought is that I would not have the "layout lights" on well the inside lighting is on. The layout is modeled in the 1950's so lighting was prototypically dim. now with LEDs you can file the lens off and get a bit more of an omni directional look. I have also been looking at other sources for lighting buildings.
For lighting the layout in "Moon Lighting" the LEDs have a 100 degrees of viewing angle and have farther fade rage beyond that.

the last thing is do standard wheat bulbs, do they last as long as LEDs?
This is a large club layout not my personal layout.

You could point the LEDs up to a silver reflector on the room ceiling and reflect the light down to the room

Ken.

Considering no manufacturing or circuit defects, you can't beat LED's with anything else when you look at life span. I forgot what most of the hobby incandescents are, but they are several thousand hours...that's a long time in months/years when you think about how long they would be on per session.

EDIT: Hmmm! That's a good Idea NZRMac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Search for a company called Vishay and you can sample like 25 leds at a time for free. It may take a little while to get to you, I don't remember how long it took for mine but I have some nice 5mm leds that I got from them for free.

I used christmas tree light's inside buildings, just driled a hole in the base and threaded them up the hole into the structure

Search for a company called Vishay and you can sample like 25 leds at a time for free. It may take a little while to get to you, I don't remember how long it took for mine but I have some nice 5mm leds that I got from them for free.

thanks for the free info on some LEDs free is always good.

I bought 3 boxes of LED Christmas tree lights in Nov. of last year & they look real good inside buildings. I paint the inside roofs in all my buildings w/silver paint & the walls w/flat black paint & then I mask all the inside corners w/black PVC tape. It keeps the LED's from reflecting off the walls. I drilled a hole in the table under each building just the size of the bulbs & then just slip them in far enough for the bulb cover & attach the wire to the table w/a clip.
I think this year I might try a dimmer in the system for better effects since everything is run thru a transformer from the 110V. plug.

Larry

I've used the mini Christmas lights that you find in the Icicle lights and they work well and are cheap but draw a fair bit of amperage and produce heat. As for the LED's I'm quickly becoming a fan of these, especially as the "warm" glow are becoming readily available.

Ken has the right idea regarding reflectors. either tin foil or better yet silver ducting tape (sticky one side) is another option. Another option is to encapsulate the LED in a plexiglas "globe" that has been burnished. this may deflect the light in all directions.

Fergie

After reading Larry's post he's hit the nail on the head with the Christmas TreeLED Globe Lights as they rediate in all directions. If you want to warm the light I use translucent "paints" dip the Led in yellow, red and then yellow letting each coat dry before dipping again.

Fergie

Back