LED Track Lighting

Odyknuck

My layout room is nearing completion and now doing overhead lighting. Currently I have installed 6 - 2 X 2 LED drop in fixtures for general room lighting and LED track lighting for the bench work. To stay on track (punn intended) I realize there are more ways to do lighting however i have already bought the track lighting and will no be entertaining other options.

My questions are:
1) I currently have them mounted 36" away from wall. Should they be mounted over bench work or in the aisleway pointing towards the layout. If so how far away. My ceiling is 7' 6" high and bench work will be from 48" to 56" high and 24" to 36" wide.

2) Should I use floods and/or spots.

3) any other ideals for using track lighting.
Thanks much in advance.
Steve

Might help to know the general size and arrangement of your layout in order to discuss lighting it?

I was attracted to the subject thread by the words LED. I'm planning a dbl-deck, round the wall layout and definitely contemplating LED strips of lighting under the top deck to light the bottom deck. I think a strip lighting might even be worked out for the upper deck?

The layout is basically around the room with a branch line peninsula down the center. Staging will be under the branch line. The room is 12' x 45'.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here are a few pic
c62b5515913fb1954b84eab430197b09.jpg
405b33235c213cfc49f47a53c752d884.jpg

Your link has an invalid URL. I am aware of the rope led light's however i would need a low hanging valance to use the effectively on my layout. I picked up all of the lighting shown in the room plus another 75 - 2 prong 12 vdc LEDS along with another 60' of track for 200 bucks. All came with bulbs.

I changed that link, sorry about that.

Just to be clear, LED tape lights are not the same as rope lights. As I understand it there is a big difference. I've been told not even to consider those rope lights that are often used for holiday lighting.

That's quite a deal you got !

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose my terminology was incorrect . I have read about the differences however have no experience with either. Its because of the dral i got that determined the lighting route im going. Otherwise the tape light's would be the options.

I've got to do more research on the LED subject myself. I do know the prices on LEDs is coming down all the time. I like that they consume so little energy, and thus requiring very little electrical supply (less fire hazard), very little heating of the room (I'm intending to build in a shed in Florida).

I also like the fact that those 'tapes of LEDs' are so easy to mount and hide behind a minimal valance on the upper deck.
Haven't figured out how to use them to light the upper deck?

As I understand it the tapes have to be cut off so as to include a specific number of those LEDs?

Back