Layout Videos

Nice videos, they keep getting better each time, Chessie. I guess I should learn how to use one of those things sometime. OF, nice looking coal trains. Good job on the scenery too. I like the way N scale trains can kind of blend in with the scene instead of dominate it.

Nice videos, Adam. Looks like work is progressing nicely. One thing though - you've got to run an SP bay window caboose with that Black Widow F unit. I think it's a Federal law. :)

Thanks, I've always wondered about cabooses. I'll have to pick one up at the train show tomorrow. I have a few Santa Fe cabooses with the cab on the top, but I only see those being used in the yard...and not that often.

Adam, at the time that Black Widow F units were running, all trains had a caboose. Here's a classic shot of the caboose track at Taylor Yard in LA right around 1970.

1727_sp-c-40-6-caboose-ken_perry.jpg

I saw this video on YouTube not too long ago. I absolutely love your layout. It's quite authentic with the hill and tall pine. :) Nice work!

Thanks Adam.

I've been meaning to convert some of the other videos we've shot of the layout. The cabride is a neat angle, but you can't really see much.

How do you run your reverse loop? I've been contemplating re-routing my garden railroad to have switchbacks and two reverse loops, but I'm not sure how good that would be in DC. I've done it in the past, it is just a lot of switching. I like not having to touch the controls and sit around the pond watching the trains.

Adam, if you convert to DCC, you can use an automatic reversing module and not have to do anything but sit back and sip a cool one. :) If you want to stick with DC, you can use the Circuitron AR-1CC Reverse Loop Controller although it's out of stock right now.

How do you run your reverse loop? I've been contemplating re-routing my garden railroad to have switchbacks and two reverse loops, but I'm not sure how good that would be in DC. I've done it in the past, it is just a lot of switching. I like not having to touch the controls and sit around the pond watching the trains.

DCC can make it easy, but DCC is not always the best choice for an outdoor layout. Especially with dirty track. We run off of battery power mostly now so the reverse loop and turntable pose no electrical issues.

But we can still run track power (DC). How we set up the loop was using a bridge rectifier. Very simple set up, but the caveat is you can only go in and out of the loop in one direction. It works great with a spring switch since it will be lined to go the way you want and then it springs open when you come out.

What you do is after the last car clears the switch track (or where ever you place the insulated section) you flip the direction knob on the transformer. The train continues to go in the direction it entered. But when it comes back to the mainline you don't have to do anything since you've already switched the direction. I have no idea how it works, but it does. Someone told me to do it this way for simplicity.

However I forget how to wire it. I know you have to have insulated sections and the wires have to go a certain way into the rectifier. I'll see if I can find out how to wire it. But someone here may know how to do it and how to explain it better.

Update
I found on online article on how to wire it, with pictures and a very good description:

Reverse Loop

Last edited by a moderator:

Back