Layout tour SP in the 50s

Very nice charles!
Neat to see it all come together after watching the projects over time, great presentaion also!

Very nice work Charles. Great structures and detailing. Just one thing...No steam? :(

I'm a black widow & tiger stripe guy too, but there is considerable steam on the roster, most from years of accumulating brass from friends, e-bay or estates. I also venture into the "Bloody nose" era here & there with a few SW-1500's, an MP-15, some SW-9/1200's, and a couple of orphans: a lone GP-38-2 and a U-50 (so ugly I couldn't resist it :D) got an overall track plan we can see?

Yeah, no steam just now.

I bought a SP 2-6-0 long ago but the soldering fell apart and it never ran well. I think it was a Key brand. It sits in pieces in a box so far. I rebuilt a PFM WP mike (and it turned out to run very well) but I sold it to buy some SD-9s.

I'm still waiting for a SP 2-8-2 or other small one with modern running properties.

It's funny. I grew up in the Oakland Hills and all I ever saw as a kid was electric freight on the S.N. Ry. and, Key System electric articulated units on the city streets. So I started into traction models first after college, and then 10 years later skipped over all the way to early diesels.

Some day I'll draw up a track plan.

Thanks Charles

Very nice work, thanks for sharing the photos. Also thanks for making all of those amazing videos. I have as many as I can get. My favorite is When the Empire was intact. A must for any SP fan.

I never followed the protos when they were in service but I can live vicariously through the footage you took. Thanks again

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Great layout. One thing that really stands out is the lightings. It's excellent and really brings out your awesome modeling. Great job.

Have you considered having your layout on one of Bob Chaparro's Southern California layout tours?

That's a very impressive layout. I'm tickled to hear that you kept the old Athearn Geeps. I still have some models that I can't bring myself to part with. I remember when the new trucks and motors first came out replacing the cast side frames. There was a rush by the "serious" modelers to replace all theirs with the new and then a couple of manufactures began to make all the different side frames so the correct ones could be on their models. Many of my friends replaced louvers to make the GP 9s into 7s. Or was it 7s into 9s The SDs got the same treatment. A couple of manufactures made these replacements out of plastic and paper. I never saw any job that I felt was good enough to bring me to attempt it. I remember bodies being stripped of their louvers. They were shaved off with a flat X-Acto blade and then glued onto another with their favorite solvent glue. Then the hood width was addressed and the push was on to replace all the old shells with all the work so they had narrow hoods. That's when the new "narrow" motor came out from Athearn. I smile when I think of how far this has all come.

Steve

I just added this common standard SP station. A few weeks ago this was a unfinished spot that was gnawing on me. I bought this laser kit a couple of years ago and it sat around. It seemed a daunting task.

Back