Layout support options?

galt904

Almost an emergency question! :eek: Can someone give me some ideas for supporting my layout? I was planning on installing my benchwork modules this weekend, and until Monday, I was just going to screw them directly to the wall studs (through the drywall). Then I discovered as I laid my modules on the floor to see how they'll fit, that my walls are a little wavy and bowed, and the corners aren't perfectly square. If it was a permanent layout this wouldn't matter to just screw them to the walls but since I will be removing this layout at some point, I don't want the modules to be out of square. Plus my wife says she doesn't want a bunch of holes in the drywall. (This is still negotiable though :) ) So this leaves me with a couple options: shelf brackets, or legs. I need something that I can buy or build quickly, and needs to be adjustable (for non-level floor). Any thoughts?

I would say use legs.

THis is just so that it is easier to level the layout compared to when it is bolted to the wall (or attached).

If you have multiple modules, once they are clamped together, the layout is surprisingly sturdy.

once they are clamped together, the layout is surprisingly sturdy
The above is very true Take a look at layout in my web site, There is only one screw into the wall and that is to ensure the walk through gate closes in a permenant position. Anywhere there is no scenery I can walk on it, yet it is only open grid module type construction. I believe the L girder method will work just as well.
Cheers Willis

Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm going to put legs on at least the corner sections, and then screw the intermediate (straight) pieces to the corner sections, I think it should provide plenty adequate support.

Now, does anyone have ideas for quick & cheap & adjustable legs? If not I think I'll just use 2x2 for now until I come up with something more permanent.

Orig. Posted by Kennedy
2x2s with the screw adjusters on the floor end. Turn them to adjust for level.
I concur with kennedy on that one. I used 2X4's because I had them, but the screw adjusters are a must if you want to prevent some headaches. Most club modules I've seen had all the legs bolted on to make for easier breakdown when transporting
Cheers Willis

Thanks for the help guys. Got some free 2x2 that my buddy pulled out of his basement for his remodelling project, I just had to pull out the nails & staples and they were good to go. Not the prettiest looking, but they'll do until I make more permanent legs (or shelves, which my wife is pushing for). Got some screw adjusters too, this will help keep things level. Watching what they did on my Model Trains Step by Step DVD convinced me that this would work. Got 2 corner sections up on legs and screwed the intermediate straight piece between them, I'm really happy with the way it's shaping up. Just need to build some more sections now to get me all the way around the room. :)

Back