Layout room flooring

If you had the chance to have whatever floor covering you wanted for your layout area, what would it be?

Patrick Welch
Proto48 Conrail

LOL!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I would say hardwood would be the best. I have plush carpet under mine and I can forsee this being a problem if I don't make my benchwork sturdy enough.

I currently have 1980s Berber. Change is a coming and I might go with hardwood. Carpet would feel better on the feet tho. I haven't decided what I want yet. Diamond studs wouldn't feel very good during an operating session lol

I have carpet floring in my layout room. It was hard getting the benchwork level, but I must say its so nice being able to comfortably lay down while doing wiring, etc. Another reason is when locos and cars fall on carpet much more forgiving than hard floors.

We have carpeting now, and it is pretty nice if you drop a locomotive or something big. But, if you drop a spring or small part, you will wish it was hardwood or tile.

I like the look of hardwood, and in my dream home, it would be hard maple flooring with a couple 3 x 4 throw rugs that I could move around in case I had to work with knees on the floor.

lasm

Another thing we need to consider is sound. Carpet is much quieter, harder to find screws/spikes, easier on the ol body in the long run. Solid flooring would be easy to clean, easy to find missing parts. I will be running O scale trains on hand laid track over homasote Spline. Is sound/echo going to be a problem I wonder? I would think that carpet might contribute more to a dusty layout perhaps?

Patrick Welch

Maybe you could take care of the sound with ceiling tile. Or, maybe you want the acoustics if you will be using DCC with sound everything will be louder ?

lasm

The ceiling is finished drywall. The layout will have a backdrop and fascia with curtains down to the floor. I don't mind the sound being loud(er), but the echo might really distract. backdrop 2.jpg

If you are facing the wall is that the curtain behind you? That should dampen whatever sound is bouncing off the other walls.

lasm

Back