Layout Proposal

DALDEI

I've been improving my layout design thanks to help from this forum !
This is a "schematic" of the mainline, a dual-mainline bent dogbone on flat. Overlaied with this is a "no-lix" mostly hidden track (blue) which reaches up to about 14" as it heads to the future upper deck. In addition is some expansion room which I dont want to detail plan now (in case I get exausted !) but leaving room for it for growth. I'm going to build with 100% hand laid track and switches (except the hidden parts probably with flextrack) so keep in mind the very straight parts are "schematic" and will likely be much more curvy.

I have not yet identified industries, sidelines, cities etc but it seems there is room for them. Also thinking of a small 'fiddleyard' under the flat section on the left which can lead-up to enter the mainline. Maybe based on canisters (?) or maybe a swing-out plate to place cars to enter them. Not sure yet.

I'm also building a 3D model in wood at 1/16 scale of the benchwork as I'm having trouble visualizing the 3D nature of this ... thats giving me some good feedack on the feasability. But I want to start sawing and hammering soon !!! No hurry to finish this, but my goal is to get the mainline dogbone complete first so I can run track, then add on the extra bits as I get a better 3D feel for how its going to lay together.

Suggestions welcome !

BasementLayout2-1024x874.jpg

Looks good to me. Now start building it!

That expansion area looks like the perfect place for staging.

Have fun...

Is it just me... or are there a heck of a lot of reverse loops there made by those double crossovers? :confused:

Greg

The goal (good or crazy) is for the loop in blue to always have the highest track closest to the wall when it comes out of the loop and returns to the walll. I had it with out the crossovers but the return loop which is 5 inches higher would end up in front of the track 5 inches below it on the wall as it finishes the nolix
I suspect that much of this will be hidden track but it just didn't seem practical tao have higher track in front of lower track

Maybe I misunderstood ... There are no true reverse loops at all. Tracks that cross are at different elevations by atleast 5 inches

Oh duh. Now I get it. ... The double crossovers in the mIddle turn the loops into reversing loops hmmm. I need to think about that,fun I'd like to avoid that ... They just looked like fun

With that type of double track folded dogbone, there's no way to avoid at least one reversing loop to get trains from one track to the other. It would be a lot easier, and less expensive, if you had a single crossover at the locations of the double crossovers, with opposite direction crossings. Double crossovers, even with DCC, are a real pain to wire as part of a reverse loop.

... Double crossovers, even with DCC, are a real pain to wire as part of a reverse loop.

That's the truth!:D I have one DXover on my layout, handlaid as well. Although it doesn't involve a reversing loop, there are still 16 gaps that have to be cut into it to get it wired for DCC.:eek:

I do like the way you're going about the plan however. Hand lain track in all visible areas and flex track in the hidden parts. Thats what I have done on mine and I am more than pleased with its functionality.

If I used single crossovers at the place of the double xs I'd just haVe to double gap them right ?no need for a reversing circuit?

Yes, as I said, any connection between the two loops becomes a reversing loop, because a train can enter and leave the same track by the same route. Auto reversers make it pretty painless to handle a single point of entry/exit loop. Without some kind of crossover, you'd have to run a train all the way around the loop to get to that future construction island. I'd bite the bullet and install the two single crossovers now and wire them up to auto reversers if you want to have more than one train on the layout at a time.

Thanks. Thats what I'm thinking. Skip the double-x's I've been reading about them and it seems very painful and I'm no expert. But put in 2 single cross overs. Then create 3 (or more) power districts. One for each loop with a auto-reverser, and one for the double-main using the same polarity for both directions.

Thanks again everyone this is very helpful and I'm getting close to a "final" mainline ... now to figure out all the little bits and start cutting some wood !

Back