Layout progress and addition

redwine_P

redwine_p
Heres some pics of the latest addition on my layout

what do you think?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
The hills came out really nice. Since I assume you're modeling the eastern US, I'd add some more foiliage to the hillsides. Some WS clump foliage and more trees would help. Have you decided how to handle the ballast yet?

If you look in the 2nd pic i ballasted a small section of the easy track . What i did was took the WS scenery glue and went down the side of the gray on the track then brushed it with a paint brush. 2nd . lightly poured the fine and mediun ballast on the glue and let it just fall down beside the trak till i was satisfied it was thick enough . 3rd. WS scenic cement and a baby medicene dropper and cemented it down. very tedious work but i think it turned out pretty good this morning looking at it. was gonna do some more today but laid out track and got part of the yard lined out . still gonna need more easy track (Any donations ? ) ha ha ha !!!!:D to get the last of it done .

The mountains i will put more trees and foilage on as i can afford it. I still have about 30 or so to make up just getting started with the foliage and stuff like that right now.

Thanks for the reply!!!:)

In true WV KY fashion i put the mobile home on the hillside just a bit ago LOL! I`ll get somw pics of that a little later.

Those were the WS risers newspaper balls and plaster cloth. first time i ever used that stuff . was diehard foam man but ive been sold on this tecnique it wors out a whole lot better.:D

Looking good. Once the foliage is in, the mountains will take shape.

It's too bad that Atlas doesn't make a more American bridge to replace the long one. It's very European looking, but there isn't much you can do about that.

I guess my point is that the track doesn't look right because you don't have enough ballast between the rails. I'd add some more between the track, up to the top of the ties, Spray it down with a mixture of water and and about 20% isopropyl alcohol. Mix up some white glue to about a 70% water/30% glue ratio. Use a medicine droper and applyy it to the center of the track. It will give the track a completely ballasted look but you can remove it by soaking it down again and then prying up the track.

Back