Layout Plans Influenced By Forum Posts

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Hi all, well I followed Bill Kosanda's thread Layout Extension In Work because I found it very interesting. Just around his last posts, I began noticing the ground cover and how different it was from mine, not the colouring, but the unevenness of his terrain. Looking at mine I decided it was boring, it was far too linear too flat and unrealistic. Needless to say it now has more lumps than a toad with the mumps. While my layout was getting it's lumps :D. I wondered if others were influenced in a similar way as I was, by others posting their work.
Usually I ask questions before doing, but this time I didn't have to ask , the answer was already there.

Cheers Willis

I think that posts here and elsewhere were what got me looking towards using foam instead of a cookie-cutter approach on my layout.

Well, I can only wish for a layout on which to try all of the wonderful techniques, tips, tricks, methods, and creative ideas that I read about on here, but all of the info I've read has certainly educated me. I've gone from a 'model-ignorant' teenager to a 'slightly-model-educated' teenager :D Thanks again for all the info guys! And thanks for making it available ModelBob!

CBCNSfan said:
Hi all, well I followed Bill Kosanda's thread Layout Extension In Work because I found it very interesting. Just around his last posts, I began noticing the ground cover and how different it was from mine, not the colouring, but the unevenness of his terrain. Looking at mine I decided it was boring, it was far too linear too flat and unrealistic. Needless to say it now has more lumps than a toad with the mumps. While my layout was getting it's lumps :D. I wondered if others were influenced in a similar way as I was, by others posting their work.
Usually I ask questions before doing, but this time I didn't have to ask , the answer was already there.

Cheers Willis

and were are the pics of your work ;) lol

and were are the pics of your work lol
Well work's far from finished but I'll take a couple of pics tonight, iff'n yuh tinks yer ready fer it, the camera needs a bit of a work out now,
Camerasmiley.png
it's been sitting on the scanner for ages :D
Cheers Willis

Ok heres a few pics. Remember all topography was fairly smooth. Along the upper tracks it was a uniform size and kind of rounded off. More changes to do yet but it's coming
#1 This was a steep slope and not even close to the track, built out with more styrofoam and lumps and rock work added
#2 At the summit you can see where more lumps were added to the flat area.
#3 Rockwork being added to the linear background, lot's more to do here.
#4 This area is only 2 inches deep from the tracks to the wall, As it also was on a curve I thought some rugged looking rockwork would set it off. When the tallus and bushes are added I hope I'll get the effect of depth I want.
Cheers Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
You're going to want to shoot me, but...

Here's another suggestion for you.

The tunnel next to the trestle bothers me a bit. Trestles are expensive, and a pain to maintain. Railroads avoid them like the plague, only building one if they really have to. How about a really deep, and really narrow, ravine just in front of the tunnel. They'd have no choice but to build a bridge. You'd also have a small bridge (maybe a stone arch?) right in front of the tunnel. Another one on the track to the right would give this stream someplace to go.

The stream should be decent size, and look like it gets big at times, so it's believable that it carved this notch.

Here's a rough (very rough, took about 5 minutes) idea of how it would look.

shoot8.gif
Hmmmm! kind of thought about that before and didn't think it was feasible for some reason. It's been quite awhile since I did that trestle. Might be worth looking into again, I liked the concept of a river through there, I know the bridges are doable where the main and the spur are but under the trestle I don't know! I'll have to have a look and see how the trestle is supported. Anyway here is an earlier broad side look.
Cheers Willis

OK, first of all, if the tunnel portal is that far to the right of the trestle, then it's fine. It looks a LOT tighter in the oher photo (or maybe you moved it, I'm not sure which...) In any case, where it's at in that photo looks like it would work fine. All I was suggesting is that there be a gap before the cliff the tunnel entered.

Secondly, the trestle is also fine just as it is. You can easily have the stream running under the bridge. It doesn't have to be huge, it can just be a narrow channel with a rushing stream. So it would work just fine, as is, with no changes.

However, if you wanted to create a really big, rushing stream, you could modify it like this.

(I'd make it turn to the left a bit, and then maybe curl back behind the rocks so it doesn't look like it just ends.)

PS - With a stream, instead of a river, you wouldn't need to change anything under the trestle. You could leave the bottom where it is there, and then have a small waterfall or rapids, to get it below the level of the other two tracks. It would also be easier to make a stream dissapear. Have it curving to the left and go into a notch between the rocks, implying it curves back to the right and disappears from sight. No need to try and blend a river into the backdrop, which is usually quite hard to make look good.

A stream would also mean smaller bridges on the other two tracks. As I suggested earlier, maybe a small stone arch in front of the tunnel. (Not sure why, but I like that idea...) Either of the other two bridges could be just about any kind you want in actuality, trestles, through truss bridge, deck girder, stone, whatever.

Hi Bob, yes the stream would be feasible, and I like the idea but as it's somewhat of a delicate situation I'd like to get mor ideas on how it could be done. I'm attaching a photo of a stream under a prototype just down the road from me. I also took a pic last night of where the stream would have to go to avoid cutting 3/4" ply thats splicing the road bed together. However I have some concerns with putting a scroll saw on it as it will cause a lot of vibration with the possibility of damaging the rock work. the rock work in front of the longest bents can be broken away easiely to provide for a small waterfall. However I doubt any construction around a stream would leave the bents without protection from the moving water. Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated. I have more pics of the construction stored somewhere and I look for them
Cheers Willis

how come you havent covers you track to keep it from getting messy
Honestly, I don't know. I know I should, and afterwards I'm sorry I didn't. I guess it's like waving the red flag in front of a bull when I get an idea. Single track mind I guess :D
Cheers Willis

are both tracks on the wood top or is the one comming out of the tunnle higher?

if the upper track is higher you could cut out part of it in front of the tunnel and put in a bridge than raise the lower track bridge that . or for the lower track you could cut into the wood a inch or two in front of the upper track
(as if the bridge was there) and make a small water fall then bridge the hole over your lowerd bench work (river bed)

are both tracks on the wood top or is the one comming out of the tunnle higher?
Yes the tracks on the wood top are much higher than the one coming out of the tunnel.

The track coming out of the tunnel is something I don't want to disturb as it is the mainline and actually on a curve. However the supporting sub roadbed could be cut away up close to the track and the sides from a plate girder bridge could be attached, similar to photo.

The sub roadbed in most of that area cannot be cut into two as there would be no risers to support the cut ends.
Cheers Willis

Willis,

Something like you show should work fine. The stream/creek can be pretty small, it doesn't have to be a river. Rapids and/or waterfalls can be used to make it chage levels quickly to accomodate your benchwork issues. They'll also add interest, and imply that it is a rapidly flowing stream as opposed to a small pond or simply water pooling in a ditch.

I think your ideas will look great!

PS - What about encasing the couple of bents that will be in the stream in styrene or a plaster casting to represent a concrete or stone footing. It could be short, just enough to stick up a little ways, basically just where it can be seen.

Or for that matter leave it as is and use something to create water. While it's not the best practice, there are certainly lots of wooden trestles with a small stream under them and nothing to protect the bents. I'd say that was actually quite common. Add a small layer or resin or whatever you're using for water and call it good. :)

If you have access to a router, this may solve the problem of cutting into your board. With a little bit of paint and plaster, you can make a 1/2" groove look like feet under the stream.

If you have access to a router, this may solve the problem of cutting into your board. With a little bit of paint and plaster, you can make a 1/2" groove look like feet under the stream.
Hi Marc
Hmm! too bad I hadn't checked earlier, Yep I have three routers, But too late for that.

Ok Bob the deed is done, how deep would you like the Go''''' Gorge :D Note in the tunnel the liner is missing, broke right off with the vibration, could have been worse I guess. Anyway lots of room for falls, deep gorge, fast running river ect, no more sawing though, had to relay the track into the tunnel.
Cheers Willis

Back