Layout in a crawl space

JDL56

Never say you don't have enough space for a layout. At least, that was true for Dennis Parker of Great Britain--he built his magnificent OO layout in a four-foot crawl space, complete with a trap door entrance from his kitchen floor.

See photos and a link to a video on my blog at http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.ca/2013/01/still-think-you-have-no-space-for.html

It's similar in concept to what my Canadian friend Dennis did in his crawl space; a link to that layout is also in the post. In the case of the Canadian Dennis, he doesn't actually crawl in his layout room like the British Dennis does--he uses a rolling stool.

John Longhurst, Winnipeg

Fantastic! I was impressed with the lighting he was able to have, although considering how close the ceiling is to the layout, maybe I shouldn't have been. Thanks for posting.

I think he,s been watching repeats of the Great Escape too much !!!
Its a great layout, I liked how he blended in the aisleways to the scenery,making the layout seem much bigger.
Ron

Two members in my round-robin club have layouts in what one would call a 'shortened' basement. Due to high water table they were only about to get a 6' ceiling. Not so bad for others, but I'm 6'9" and I can only stand straight between the floor joists! I don't think I could get into a 4' layout room without a visit to the Chiropractor later

Incredible layout. Not so sure about the location though, I can imagine my wife standing on the trap door, keeping me confined ,,,just being ornery!;)

crawl space

You can do wonders with a little space. John Alan started with a slopped space and dug his own basement for the G&D.

Armchair :)

Back