layout finally started

willb

i finally got back into model railroading this year and now have most of the track in place for my layout. i started with the manchester and paradise track plan from model railroader and ended up with the attached. the railroad operates as a point to point going counter-clockwise from the yard, up the hill to the siding in the middle and then to the siding on the opposite side. minimum radius is 24" with a 32" minimum for the outside oval. the industry spurs have room for 28 forty foot cars and the yard has room for the same. the attached plan is not exactly to scale. track is code 83 with atlas flex and walthers shinohara turnouts.

That's quite a table layout you have there. I'm wondering how you will reach the middle especially the turnouts in the center without damaging structures and scenery on the edges. Seems like a reach.

if i was shorter that would have been a problem. i can reach all points with only a slight overhang on the edge to get to the center of the table. there will be two access hatches for maintenance. also, along the two long sides the tracks occupy about six inches from the edge.

It's your layout, but it looks like you have switching in between and over buildings, trees, bridges, etc. It is one thing to reach 36 inches. It is another to reach 36" over a building or tree and rerail or uncouple a car without damage. Maintenance hatches aside.

I would also be concerned about that turnout in the tunnel. It can be a real nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:
the turnout in the tunnel is accessible from the side of the table. the track center is 2.5 inches from the edge there. i had originally thought of building a bridge there, but the scenery would not have worked. also, all industrial and other track except for the main and passing sidings in the center is 30 inches or less from the edge. i am testing all tracks for operational reliability before placing any scenery and will also be checking clearances for scenery and buildings as i go along. the last thing i would want to do is mangle any of the campbell or fsm kits that i have had in storage for years. scenery will probably not be started for at least another month. i wouldn't recommend what i have built for anyone less than 6 feet tall though. the two industrial spurs in the right center are actually about 18 inches closer to the lower edge

Last edited by a moderator:

Back