Layout control.... moving forward.

jdtoronto

Some of you may have become aware of the developments taking place in the realm of electronics to help control and run model layouts. Several independent groups having been beavering away on these ideas, and the group I am associated with, a project known as OpenLCB (Open source Layout Control Bus) is finalising draft proposals for standards and moving towards broader based hardware development and testing, outside the core group.

Our website is at: http://openlcb.org where you might like to look at the introductory documents or if you prefer we have some photographs and video from our day at the NMRA Convention in Milwaukee in July.

We need people to join us, to help developing hardware, writing firmware, testing firmware and hardware, testing things on real layouts, giving demonstrations or talks at clubs and gatherings. Layout automation and control will open up new horizons of detail and sophistication for modelers over the next few years.

If you would like to be part of the adventure then contact me here, or you could join the OpenLCB group on Yahoo.

Can you or someone here on the Forum explain exactly what all of this does in SIMPLE language. Is this a simple Push Button electronic gadget to operate trains w/out a circuit board inside the engine or is it more complicated than that.
Seems like a lot of it's going to be here soon, but not explaining what "it" is.

Can you or someone here on the Forum explain exactly what all of this does in SIMPLE language. Is this a simple Push Button electronic gadget to operate trains w/out a circuit board inside the engine or is it more complicated than that.
Seems like a lot of it's going to be here soon, but not explaining what "it" is.

Well, simply put, Layout Control Bus systems are designed to make the set-up of control systems, be they simple or complex, much easier. And to provide complex control arrangements very simply.

LCB's do not yet control the actual trains, we don't propose to replace DCC. What LCB's will soon do is add the ability for layout features and your operator consoles or CTCs to more effectively control the trains and the layout by bringing everything together in one system. Your DCC investment will be protected, so will your CTC investment, and your signals and turnouts. What an LCB does is allow you to bring these things together.

1. Cabling and connection should be simple, low cost, and probably pre-made but can be DIY assembled if needs be.
  2. No control wiring should be needed, only a single network cable and a single power supply cable.
  3. Configuration should be simple and easy to manage. To see how this works, look at the second video on this page. Which shows how things are actually programmed. The third video shows some more complex programming.
  4. You should be able to re-use things you have, like signals, BOD's, turnouts, train ID sensors, RFID, structure lighting and the like, but connect them in ways you never thought possible to achieve full prototypical accuracy and detail.
  5. Add complex new technology easily, such as sound effects, TV in structures, timetable signs in stations, outdoor video displays, structure lighting fully controlled and much more as time goes on.
  6. Hopefully different manufacturers will support a common standard and so the range of products available will grow.

John

I guess I'm a bit skeptical. Seems to me this is about 10 years too late, as there are already a large number of competing and highly proprietary train control solutions components available. And there is a very strong precedent among the principal players (the DCC vendors to name one) who have simply refused to be 'open'.

Lenz released their Expressnet as a proposed standard early on (didn't NMRA adopt it?) and from what I can tell, EasyDCC, NCE, Digitrax, MRC, MTH and Bachmann have completely ignored the Lenz standard and the NMRA as well from what I can see.
Herding cats would, from my estimation seem easier and more likely.

The current DCC suppliers refuse to even adopt common function key standard assignments.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the standardization, but I'll not hold my breath or delay my current automation work while Bob J. tries to sort this out.

Joe Daddy

My website has a number of lessons learned on automation.

I think as DCC advances Train Control will be more common. But,this will only happen when cost and simplicty come around. I think current versions of this are over complex and you need to be a "computer geek" to fully understand how it all works. I agree that a standard needs to be adopted and when it becomes more popular standards will turn up. I also think that most people with small home layouts dont need train control due to small sized layout. Even most clubs dont need it as DCC has made operating less of a task and made it more fun. what I do see that clubs could use is a simple way to report train locations on a layout. this could be used for disbatching a crowded layout and add to clubs that have "operations night"

just my .02

I guess I'm a bit skeptical. Seems to me this is about 10 years too late, as there are already a large number of competing and highly proprietary train control solutions components available. And there is a very strong precedent among the principal players (the DCC vendors to name one) who have simply refused to be 'open'.

You may be right, but 'Better late than never'. Note that OpenLCB is designed to do more than what is available from the legacy control buses - as well as attach to them. It will be a superset that includes higher speed and more capacity using CAN and Ethernet. We have taken first steps and would welcome everyones help and ideas.

David

... I think current versions of this are over complex and you need to be a "computer geek" to fully understand how it all works. ... what I do see that clubs could use is a simple way to report train locations on a layout. this could be used for disbatching a crowded layout and add to clubs that have "operations night" ...

Well, we have tried to make OpenLCB work both for novices and experts alike. Quite complex things can be accomplished using the push-button interface which lets you link inputs to outputs without having to know device / node / channel numbers. For more sophicated control, programs like JMRI will be used. Even a visual user-interface is contemplated with drag and drop.

We have thought about clubs and modular layouts and support them. Certainly RFID is supported. Suggestions for this area are welcome.

David

Layout control

I have read most of the papers on this and find that it is *almost* like big government. I understand that the whole process is going through its infancy and will either sprawl, or get more compact. I would think the 'get more compact' part would be the direction .. but.

What I got out of it and the one thing I do like about it is that it does NOT use DCC as the transport. This would be a seperate system that would not rely on DCC and its inherent problems; one of those would be a 'short' which would bring down that sections control ability. DCC is a good thing for running trains and controlling onboard stuff - sound, engine attributes ( lights, horn ... etc ), EoT. Now you have DCC controlled signals and turnouts. DCC in my opinion is going to keep getting bigger and wanting to do more. Think what happened a few years back when everybody was connecting more and more devices to their PC. Running out of ports and IRQ's was the big issue. USB is headed that way now - soon it will be a nighmare trying to figure out how to connect various devices, if not already.

Having another system for control would be ideal. If the DCC dies for some reason or another you would not have to jump through loops to get stuff up and operational again. The reverse would also be true .. if the control system died, you would be able to still run trains.

As far as a standard for communication between system devices on the layout, I would think that the protocol would have to be slim, trim and easy for small manufactures to implement. Consider a 'Control Point'. From what I have figured out, that control point will have multiple devices connected: track detector(s), turnout control, signal head control. With signal head control, a 'normal' CP would have 4 heads ( 6 if there happens to be advance signals; siding side of things to the next CP ) which means that there would have to be provisions for possibly 12 leds; depending. I don't see the 'control bus' handling this sort of thing as it would probably a local vendor proprietary thing. In addition, the actual CP would probably have three other detectors besides the track detector as if there isn't a load on the rails, IR or some sort of proximity circuitry would be needed. Again, I don't see the layout owner developing this sort of stuff so the local vendor would again need to be involved. Don't get me wrong here as MR's are a very resourceful bunch and I might just be incorrect in my assumptions!

There is so much 'stuff' out there now - how would one expect any of the local vendors to deal with it. They [probably] already have spent $$$ on getting their product to market without the 'control bus' scenerio and would then have to go back in and re-engineer and/or re-write software for the whole thing to work just to make it easier for the layout owner/operator. Those costs would be passed along possibly making some of the devices out of reach for customers with not so deep pockets. Consider my soon to be real layout: I only have 18 CP's and I would really like to have some sort of control, but at what cost? Would it be reasonable to expect one CP would be in the realm of $150 including signals? $300? At $150, $2700 is quite a bing. $5400? Boy, there would need to be gold plating invoved somewhere.

So with the above in mind, I see the 'control bus' as a means to talk to smarter devices on the local network and not worry about dealing with each and every detector, turnout or signal head. Of course, if I were a small manufacture of those things, I would NOT want my proprietary stuff on display as I would have to consider my time and effort just to get them working.

Well, off the soap box. The above is just my view on things and I imagine that others will look at it differently. In fact, I would expect that. There probably are a ton of other items that would need to be talked about, but to me the CP is the most crucial of any as it pertains to train control and that is where the 'control bus' is headed, isn't it?

ctclibby

I have read most of the papers on this and find that it is *almost* like big government. I understand that the whole process is going through its infancy and will either sprawl, or get more compact. I would think the 'get more compact' part would be the direction .. but.
And their is always a but! Even in our own minds as designers. One of our buts is that we figure we need, at the outset, to cover as many use cases as possible. The alternative is to end up just like DCC and to have so many uncovered cases that the whole things turns into a mess.

What I got out of it and the one thing I do like about it is that it does NOT use DCC as the transport. This would be a separate system that would not rely on DCC and its inherent problems; one of those would be a 'short' which would bring down that sections control ability. DCC is a good thing for running trains and controlling onboard stuff - sound, engine attributes ( lights, horn ... etc ), EoT.
And in reality that is what DCC is good for. The difference between something like DCC, which was conceived in a way that covered much of what people wanted to do at one time, was that it didnt allow for what people might want to do in the future. And look at it now!

The next big issue was that DCC was the province of big government (the NMRA) but that got out of hand. Now we have two competing manufacturers groups, one in the US and one in Europe who don't really talk much and according to conversations I have had with both sides, are diverging. In large measure because DCC has already reached its limit. Sadly the official NMRA DCC Working Group mailing list has had no discussion since November 2009, no meeting of the NMRA group has been convened at an NMRA conference or in Europe for some time now.

Now you have DCC controlled signals and turnouts. DCC in my opinion is going to keep getting bigger and wanting to do more.
Well, in reality the manufacturers of DCC want it to get bigger and do more, they just cant agree on how to do it!
Think what happened a few years back when everybody was connecting more and more devices to their PC. Running out of ports and IRQ's was the big issue. USB is headed that way now - soon it will be a nightmare trying to figure out how to connect various devices, if not already.

Hmmm, you have hit one of our nails right on the head. Systems like OpenLCB are designed to in fact be transport agnostic. The current base level uses CAN buss, a simple, cheap, highly standardised system which in fact you can find in your own car! The transport is robust and reliable, parts to utilise it are cheap and readily available. But part of the thing which makes OpenLCB seem like a giant elephant is the fact that we have already though about how to use Ethernet in all its guises and radio, using Bluetooth or WiFi or other simpler schemes.

Having another system for control would be ideal. If the DCC dies for some reason or another you would not have to jump through loops to get stuff up and operational again. The reverse would also be true .. if the control system died, you would be able to still run trains.

As far as a standard for communication between system devices on the layout, I would think that the protocol would have to be slim, trim and easy for small manufactures to implement.
In fact that is the reason that basically everybody who is talking layout control is talking CAN buss. Cheap, easy to implement, robust are all points in its favour. At least for a starting point. As I have mentioned OpenLCB also envisions the use of other standards, and I know that at least one commercial design is working on a 'last mile' or in his case, 'last foot' simpler, lower cost connection.
Consider a 'Control Point'. From what I have figured out, that control point will have multiple devices connected: track detector(s), turnout control, signal head control. With signal head control, a 'normal' CP would have 4 heads ( 6 if there happens to be advance signals; siding side of things to the next CP ) which means that there would have to be provisions for possibly 12 leds; depending. I don't see the 'control bus' handling this sort of thing as it would probably a local vendor proprietary thing.
<snipped>
Why not? Why have a hierarchy of hardware using possibly incompatible protocols when a system can be built which caters for the scope you refer to, the Control Point (which is a term Dick Bronson of RR Cirkits is using) which could have OpenLCB added to it. Or it could get down to the NODE concept that many within the OpenLCB community refer to. Take the 8 or 16 channel DCC block occupancy detector, and just put an OpenLCB node controller on it for a few bucks and you have a network capable BOD. In LCB terms the BODs each PRODUCE an EVENT when something happens, and something else is programmed to CONSUME that same EVENT when it sees it. In fact it may be a number of things. A single PRODUCER EVENT could be consumed by a gateway to DCC to stop the train, while a signal may change, a level crossing gate may be activated, and information on a CTC or a MIMIC panel may be updated.

Some manufacturers of layout equipment are already planning to move to layout control buss operation once something gains traction. Other new manufacturers are set to enter the market also. Others are also hard at work considering how to adapt systems such as C/MRI and the like.
Well, off the soap box. The above is just my view on things and I imagine that others will look at it differently. In fact, I would expect that. There probably are a ton of other items that would need to be talked about, but to me the CP is the most crucial of any as it pertains to train control and that is where the 'control bus' is headed, isn't it?

ctclibby

And a good contribution this is to the discussion.

One point I will add is that the view of many, including the OpenLCB developers, is that ultimately DCC becomes a mechanism for controlling things on the track and thus could become just another interface on the layout under the overall control of something of the likes of OpenLCB and integrated with JMRI which already supports some OpenLCB and other LCB features.

Our modelling preferences colour our outlook too, I might live in North America, but my modelling interests are British, predominantly passenger operation, or Australian mixed operation, both in N scale. Not your typical US/Canada modelling interest! But just as amenable to something like OpenLCB.

John (Toronto, Canada)

Hi,

Discovering Bob J is involved really piqued my interest.... I went and did some reading and it appears that there are 3 (possibly 4) "competing" proposals being looked at. There's a comparison here if anyone's interested: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/nmranet/wiki/GaM/BusComparison

I guess "S9.5 Voss" is either his "personal" effort, or more likely is going to be an attempt to cherry-pick the "best" from the other proposals into another NMRA standard?

Anyway, while an admirable objective, my rambling 02c;

- I'm sure there are tens (probably hundreds!) of pages debating whether a PC should be "part of the solution". "Someone" decided not, and I think that's a complete show stopper - Seems like "they're" trying to spec a moonshot, but only allowing it to be done with steam power. Furthermore, it must be able to be built and controlled by monkeys! [No disrespect intended btw]

Computers (distinct from PC's, which I always take to mean "running a M$ OS") are *cheap* - Here's one that's just been announced for "home control" use at CES:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/prwebhomeautomation/homecontroller/prweb4937394.htm

Expected "under $300". You can get complete Linux solutions (in quantity) for about $50 - Here's a board with all the i/o you could want:

http://www.compulab.co.il/x300/html/x300-cm-price.htm

at $49 (If you want 1K of 'em anyway!)

- The idea that a "novice" can go to his LHS and pick up a sophisticated piece of kit, plug it in, and have it work with zero configuration is, IMHO, a pipe dream - Or at least it is without a computer involved somewhere.

- Is there no "World MRA"? - Seems to me that *successful* standards are backed by some sort of global entity to which national associations are subservient. Right now, as already noted, the USA is going one way and Europe another :(

- CAN bus is probably as good a choice as anything else, but again all the manufacturers add their own proprietary extensions (Ford's bus won't talk to Chevy's for example) - If it goes anywhere I think we'll be back at Loconet -v- Expressnet -v- foonet situation as the manufacturers try and differentiate themselves.

- 2 of the 3 (not Open LCB) say "copyrighted but public domain" - What does that mean? Would a manufacturer have to pay a license fee to the copyright holder? Forget that! IMHO, standards *must* be open and accessible to all.

- Why re-invent the wheel as "NMRANET"? Why "Layout Control Bus"? It wants to be a control bus for "anything", and there are plenty of efforts in this direction already (Z-Wave, X10, etc etc spring to mind) - Wouldn't it be easier to piggyback on these? Or even good ol' TCP/IP - Ethernet is fast, understood and configurable - Throw in a DHCP server and you've got plug-n-play....

- Get the slot car manufacturers involved - They're "going digital" fast and something like this would be equally as applicable to them.

- Are any of the DCC guys onboard with this effort?

- Wouldn't it be easier to "standardize" on one of existing 'nets?

- Having the NMRA involved seems like a dead end to me - Beyond the standards gauge from the last century, what have they really done? I'm sorry, but those guys don't seem to know what a computer or wireless even is! - I can already control my layout from my iPhone - I don't *need* any more standards....... IIRC, one of dominant DCC players doesn't even bother trying to get "NMRA certified" - Their stuff works, and people buy it regardless.

"The nice thing about standards is there is so many of them!"

I hope I'm wrong - As I said the objectives are admirable, but I think it will get too "dumbed down" in order to support simplicity in a subject that is simply not simple!

As always, my 02c,
Cheers,
Ian

Discovering Bob J is involved really piqued my interest....

- Wouldn't it be easier to "standardize" on one of existing 'nets?

- Having the NMRA involved seems like a dead end to me - Beyond the standards gauge from the last century, what have they really done? I'm sorry, but those guys don't seem to know what a computer or wireless even is! - I can already control my layout from my iPhone - I don't *need* any more standards....... IIRC, one of dominant DCC players doesn't even bother trying to get "NMRA certified" - Their stuff works, and people buy it regardless.

"The nice thing about standards is there is so many of them!"

I hope I'm wrong - As I said the objectives are admirable, but I think it will get too "dumbed down" in order to support simplicity in a subject that is simply not simple!

As always, my 02c,
Cheers,
Ian

Ian-
These are all good thoughts, and thanks for them ... but you have to realize that we have already debated most of them. I would hope you read more of the OpenLCB documentation. Yes, it is a complex subject. We think we have developed a simple UI for beginners that doesn't hamper experts. We do not require the beginner to set any links, switches, board numbers etc before that can make node talk to each other. On the other hand, OpenLCB is scalable up to Fremo and museum sized layouts involving multiple segments with an Ethernet backbone -- and yes the backbone can use off-the-shelf routers. Legacy equipment can be handled, too.

When you have to juggle all the things listed on the comparison page: simplicity, interoperability, bridging, expandible, flexible, ...; then you have to make compromises. I think we have done very well.

Yes, this is a hard road to walk - especially with older, seasoned modellers have well-earned scepticism ;-)

However, OpenLCB is a community project, we are proceeding with or without the NMRA, so give us your ideas!

David

Ian and others,

I am not going to quote your posting, not because I don't value it but because it will take me longer to respond if I do have to interleave everything, and I woul dlike to tackle some issues in different order.

1.. Why NMRA? You are not the only person to suggest that involving the NMRA is a non-productive exercise. After the experiences of the DCC process even many of the manufacturers might agree with you. But right now the NMRA is suggested as being the place to standardise things. However, the attitude of the NMRA and some of its officers and staff may change that.

I understand your concerns about the NMRA. Fortunately none of these efforts (except for the S9.5 Voss one) directly involve the NMRA. The development work is going on independently and then material is being offered to the NMRA to accept as standards or not as they see fit. The Voss effort is from Don Voss, Didriks brother. He was for a time, part of one or more of the various working groups. But it seems right now that he has totally withdrawn, and has convinced Di that his personal proposals should be included in teh drafts of standards being put to the NMRA board next month. At least Di has been transparent enough to allow the working group proposal to appear unmodified as well. If you wish to read the first part, try these docs.

Original draft physical layer
Descriptive note for the above
Voss modified standard proposal
Descriptive material with Voss modifications

Right now we, the OpenLCB group, are following the NMRA track, but lets see what happens.

2.. Why call it a LAYOUT control bus? Good question, I suppose the answer is that we are designing the LCB (and I am specifically involved with the OpenLCB or NMRANET proposal S9.6 group) for layout use. We are not conceited enough to believe we can design something that is all things to all users. That is for people with far less possibility of success! However the entire architecture lends itself to many other things. So let's crawl before we try and Olympic marathon.

3.. Why not base it all on a PC? The reality is that while for techno-nerds and geeks the idea of putting something like a PC in there is nice, for many people it is not! However the OpenLCB system and others are already supported by JMRI and so PC based configuration and management is already a possibility. Another reason is size and connect-ability. A PC like box is big, no matter how dense it is, and if I want to hide something inside an N scale station building, for example, its not going to be the sort of thing you mentioned. Its going to be something not much bigger than a DCC decoder, and I have seen a PC that small yet, neither have I seen anybody able to integrate Ethernet in something that size, at a price we can afford.

4.. Standards a-plenty? Yes, of course there are, gazillions of them. Many of them requiring high entry prices to play, others barely supported or used. Standards are great, but often they do nothing more than document the past. History is great, and we need to know it, but we also need to move forward.

Now on to more general issues.

Average Joe modeler: If we accept for a moment the work done by the OpenLCB team before the NMRA convention in Milwaukee last summer, then in fact you could go to the store (of course we had to make our own), buy a couple of little boards and get some sort of control working - WITH NO PC! Go and have a look at one or two of the movies at the OpenLCB site to see what can happen with very simple hardware. Using a non-PC based system such as the blue-gold approach develop by Bob Jacobsen and David Harris it is possible to set up the interactions, even quite complex ones, in just a few moments. And look mum, no PC, just my bare hands!

Various people, including some Open Source groups (like OpenLCB and the MERG-CBUS group in the UK) are now designing or have kits already available to implement LCB's. Commercial manufacturers have design in the works and their is serious interest and some involvement from existing DCC manufacturers.

Initially the proposal is to use CAN bus on the layout. It is robust, noise tolerant, very inexpensive and extremely widely used. It can operate in very low power environments if needed. But it is limited to 1mbps maximum speed. So it is inevitable that manufacturers will use Ethernet and other systems to extend and expand something like OpenLCB. In fact that has already been demonstrated in Milwaukee by the OpenLCB team. And the extended PC based functionality you want, is already addressed in the OpenLCB work and the JMRI work.

Some manufacturers also plan super simple connections, which I call "last foot" options, for connecting things like individual signal masts to a control-point module.

The producer/consumer event model that is being used, at least in OpenLCB, scales very well from a simple two node (board) system to potentially something as big as a FREMO meetup with hundreds of model modules interconnected. Other systems, such as DCC will become potential peripherals on a system like OpenLCB, so a single controller attached to the LCB Will serve to do anything on the layout or on the track. Imagine a complex sequence of movements in a passenger station involving signals, an animated platform guard, points, level crossings, possibly multiple trains, route and timetable displays and your CTC, all happening automatically just because you clicked on a button, or because a loco appeared in a certain spot. Oh, and it had to be a certain loco, based on RFID in the vehicle! Or possibly on a geo-location function built into the LCB.

Once we have the model railroad features sorted out then I can only imagine where the system will go then. I already know doll-house modelers who are interested to use OpenLCB to automate their models!

I see that while I have been writing this that David Harris, another of the OpenLCB hard core has responded. If people here are interested, then both of us will be happy to continue posting. In the meantime, the OpenLCB website may answer some more questions. And please bear in mind, we are looking for other volunteers to help if they wish to contribute.

Kindly,
John day (Toronto Canada)

nb: NMRANET aspirant protocol is a product of the OpenLCB working group, as is the unmodified S9.x.1 draft mentioned herein.

Last edited by a moderator:
....However, OpenLCB is a community project, we are proceeding with or without the NMRA, so give us your ideas!....

....And please bear in mind, we are looking for other volunteers to help if they wish to contribute....

Quoting Mr Fabulous in the Blues Brothers, "OK, OK, you got me!....."

I'll join the Yahoo Group "later" and have a lurk there.

Certainly, if "passion" could ever get anything done, this thing could rock! With or without the NMRA ;)

I have a ton more Q's, but reckon the group is the place to ask.

Thanks for the comments & explanations etc.

Cheers,
Ian

I'll join the Yahoo Group "later" and have a lurk there.

It seems I'm not wanted! :(

"Join this group" needs mod approval, and it's been over 24 hours :(

I'm getting a complex! Should I bother to continue reading? Should I start my own proposal! [J/K!] ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Has any time been invested in reviewing home automation and media control systems like Crestron, AMX or Control4 ?
________
Penny Stocks

Has any time been invested in reviewing home automation and media control systems like Crestron, AMX or Control4 ?

I *believe* (but am sure there are others more qualified) that they've already done something with X10 [Layout lighting?]. However, that market is currently more of a mess than DCC - At least until Z-Wave gains more traction, and it'll certainly be able to interface to that - May have already been done, but I can't check 'cos they don't want me as a member! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Ian

I *believe* (but am sure there are others more qualified) that they've already done something with X10 [Layout lighting?]. However, that market is currently more of a mess than DCC - At least until Z-Wave gains more traction, and it'll certainly be able to interface to that - May have already been done, but I can't check 'cos they don't want me as a member! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Ian

Well we've been trying to figure out how to get rid of you here as well ;)

The idea of assigning IDs to interfaces like buttons and IDs to controllable devices like lights and scenery motors and then plugging them all into the same bus is amazing, in concept, and has to be done for large layouts. But it's clearly going to be a huge battle.
________
Ladder day saints - mormonism forums

Perhaps a new way of thinking is required?

See here:

EDIT. Seems the link doesnt work after 3 attempts, see Scorpius thread in this sub-forum.

Back