Layout building?

WesternPlains

Howdy folks, Im a rejuvenated modeller from a few years ago and Im looking for build another layout. My last layout was a fairly simple 6x12 in my basement that I could walk around, but this time I dont have a basement, so Im considering either an insulated seacan container (39x7.5' inside dims) or a 48' insulated semi trailer (8x47' inside dims). I live in west TX where it gets roasting hot in the summer, but 50-60ish in the winter and its very dry, no humidity here. I also run a small trucking company, so moving a trailer is a non issue. What do you guys think about these ideas? Seacan would be ground level, but a trailer would need a set of stairs to get into it.

I see modified sea cans all the time nowadays, can you buy one insulated and with environmental s to make it more enjoyable for you?

What about going for a 53' refer? Those are probably less expensive than building some structure, easy to lock up and move if needed. As you probably know, refer will run either electrical or diesel and is insulated pretty good. Get a white one, or paint white to help with the summer heat. Maybe placed under some shade trees tooo....

Later

I have a 20' shipping container and true it is rodent proof and floor is very substantial however you may have to put a door in the side cause opening the back cannot be closed tight when you are inside.

Also does heat up a lot. Above suggestions also make good points, in fact the reefer trailer with the a factory side door would maybe be ideal. I would remove wheels and axels and put on blocks a step above ground level.

Dave LASM

My son has a friend east of Austin, Texas who build a house using the containers. It really gets narrow inside after insulating the unit but in Texas you are going to definitely need it. I think if you can keep a 4’ wide middle aisle and live with narrow shelf modeling, it’s a great idea.

have fun

A 53' reefer would be great, but those are a hot commodity these days. 48's are almost a dime a dozen so I think that would be the way to go. As far as the reefer unit itself, that would be overkill unless you were going for an authentic winter scene where it had to be -10 inside lol. I would pull the reefer unit to use on another of my trailers and then replace it with a 15k btu AC unit. Frame in the rear of the trailer with a wall just inside the doors with a proper man door would be the ideal situation Im thinking. Id like to keep it mobile, so maybe build a small 6x8' stand alone deck with stairs for the rear of it?

A 53' reefer would be great, but those are a hot commodity these days. 48's are almost a dime a dozen so I think that would be the way to go. As far as the reefer unit itself, that would be overkill unless you were going for an authentic winter scene where it had to be -10 inside lol. I would pull the reefer unit to use on another of my trailers and then replace it with a 15k btu AC unit. Frame in the rear of the trailer with a wall just inside the doors with a proper man door would be the ideal situation Im thinking. Id like to keep it mobile, so maybe build a small 6x8' stand alone deck with stairs for the rear of it?
Ya, don't want to close yourself in AND there will be times where ya want to go and just sit on the deck. In case you don't know, those refers will do cold OR heat without changing anything. Here is a couple of pix: 1 refer, other a container. Refer will go to +105C to -35C whilst the container will do +120C to -60C. Used them for hauling vax.

0921211312.jpg

0921211437.jpg

I looked into a refer for a friend whom wanted both electrical and diesel. He decided against as with out modification he would need 14KW @ 480V. There were plenty of them sitting around with problems - some had refer issues, others had running gear, or frame issues. They can be had, all you need to do is keep looking.

Later

Ive never known a reefer unit that could pull down to -35. Mine are all ice cream spec and will do -25, but thats it. Also, most trailers dont come with the electric standby option, so thats out anyways. If Im gonna use a trailer for this, then Im not looking to spend upwards of $100k for a near new one, Id be more like in the $5k range for a 20 yr old one in good shape. I have a 2006 48' right now that I use as a storage trailer, bought it without the unit on it for $3500, looked like it was hardly used, inside walls n floor were in perfect shape. If I can find another one of those then that would be ideal.

Back