Layered Rock Mold

eTraxx

I poured layers of plaster which I broke and stacked to make a 'shale' rock face. Made a latex mold of that. It came out pretty good I think.

Close-up of the 'plug'. I sprinkled baking soda into the crevices and used a thin super-glue to fit it. Larger spaces were filled with some Sculpey
shale_2.jpg

Here's the mold on top of the plug with a painted casting. The car is 1:50 for reference
Image10.jpg

Close-up of a 1:48 car alongside the plug
shale_3.jpg

another of a 1:50 car alongside the casting
Image9.jpg

.. and a close-up of the casting. Not satisfied with the coloring but the layered rock effect I am pretty happy with.
Image1.jpg

Update

I was discussing the mold with Ian Hodgkiss aka artizen and he mentioned that he had been looking for a way of creating more realistic Welsh slate drystone walls. I replied that .. I had posted up a thread on making cracked-asphalt using a flexible backing with some wedding-veil .. and that it might be a way to do that with the rock mold ..

I was looking at the mold .. and had an Epiphany .. or could have been gas .. but .. why not use the mold .. fill just the bottom of it and slap in some weddin-veil .. !!!

.. a little plaster and some wedding-veil
Image11.jpg

the result after breaking it along it's length ...
Image16.jpg

Image17.jpg

Image19.jpg

.. and is flexible so could be bent to fit
Image13.jpg

Back